Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz t56 gearbox won't tight reverse fix

They_cheated

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to share a fix I found for my reverse gear. My reverse was incredibly tight to get in and often had to change for 6th and use the clutch to get it in. Eventually it got to the point where it would only crunch and not go into gear. Anyways in taking the cover of the gearstick I noticed a small gap between to plates on the shifter and a small amount of play in it. There were 2 bolts that I tightened on the side that when I tightened then they eliminated this. Now reverse is very easy to find, no force required. Hope this can help you guys out, I search forums, had I looked at by my mechanic and a holden dealership and the only answer I got was a worn reverse gear that wasn't worth replacing till it went. Might not be in all cases but it's very quick to fix if so worth a try

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Thanks for that, these are the little tips that can help someone. Great stuff !!

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
This is the sort of **** that saves someone thousands. Good stuff mate

mbm1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ute
well well well iv just started having this problem in last few weeks and my searches on here led me to believe it was a clutch issue and so i have a new texrila z grip clutch and rip shifter on its way haha 2 grand that possibly could have waited if it is the same problem. cheers mate i think this needs to be a sticky