Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FE2 front suspension - life expectancy of outer ball joint on lower control arm

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I've got about 101,000 km on my SV6, and I'm thinking about replacing the two rubber bushes (pivot bush and Z Bar bush) in both control arms. The passenger side Z bar bush is soft compared to the driver's side. None of the rubber bushes are torn or deformed. The car travels mostly on suburban sealed roads and highway drives.

Presently, the ball joints seem OK.

Repco sell the ball joint separately for $77, and a complete control arm with a new ball joint and nolathane bushes fitted in the pivot and Z Bar holes for $185 per side.

Holden sell the complete control arm with ball joint and rubber bushes for $241 per side. The Holden rubbers for the Z Bar and pivot bush are about $70 per control arm.

The Holden oil filled front Z Bar damper is $170 per side. Solid rubber units on eBay about $80- $90 per pair. Nolathane is a bit cheaper than the Holden oil filled unit.

I am looking at any advantage in replacing the ball joints at the same time as the rubber bushes. I am still debating going to a complete nolathane replacement as the car is the daily drive and absolute steering control with the firmer steering wheel feedback is not required.

So, are the ball joints a long life item or do they become a replacement at eg 150,000 - 200,000Kms?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I would be very inclined to replace as much of the suspension bushing as can be afforded. Running a lowered suspension 'can' add additional loading to susceptible suspension components. A good way to check any suspension bush is to place car on hoist and start going over all moving bits of suspension with a decent sized pry bar. You might be surprised at the wear you will uncover. Doing the job properly will be very rewarding for you in the long run. Good luck with it.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
do they have up/down movement/boots ####ed? If so then yes replace them. If not then all is fine. If you drive on normal roads then 250k + km is easily done. If you drive on corrugated **** then 100k will be lucky to be seen. If the boots are split/off the base then replace them. Don't fit cheap Chinese ****.