Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need some help/opinions with my vz problem

05_Vz_Lumina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Lumina
Hi guys was wondering if i could get some help and opinions with my issue im having with my 2005 vz lumina a few weeks ago i had a small
accident couple houses down my street on some construction work cracked my oil sump on a massive step where the road ends and becomes gravel
so i turned around pulled in the driveweay and turned the car off (just a few seconds down the street) when i turned it off i checked and saw the sump was cracked and still gushing out oil.

i pushed it down the road my my mates the next day to a mechanic i know he changed the done a good job on changing the sump and checking for other damage that may have been caused he done all the usual checks to make sure everything was ok and assured my everything is fine and i saved the motor. but since then the motor was rustling really really badly i noticed he put **** loads of belt grip probably cos of the oil everywhere so i wiped a bit of it away and sprayed a little wd40 which helped make the rustling noise goes away heaps.
Since then the engine still makes somewhat between a rustling and whining noise mainly on startup and when accelerating sometimes it won't make hardly any noise at all and when i put my foot down i barely hear it again as to when im just driving normal.

im going to get my mechanic to take a look at this when i take it for next service oil,oil filter,spark plugs, intake manifold gasket already had the transmission and oil/filter changed couple thousand k's ago never really had any issues with this car as its been well looked after previously it also has 160.000kms if that matters

thanks in advance

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Considering the mechanic was the one who fixed it and assured you its fine, i would take it back to them instantly and raise the concern.

He may know what it is and be able to correct it easily, before anything bad potentially occurs. (its hard to understand the type of noise it is)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Really all depends on what other damage was done. You may have bent the crank depending on the severity of the hit, or there could be an issue with a tensioner or pulley.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
quote: "he put **** loads of belt grip probably cos of the oil everywhere so i wiped a bit of it away and sprayed a little wd40 which helped make the rustling noise goes away heaps."

- sounds like you've got the problem, and the solution summed up in one sentence !
I try to solve my problems without undue expense - so I suggest wipe some more away, and spray a little more WD40 - indeed give the whole lot a good clean up.

05_Vz_Lumina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Lumina
done a service on the weekend changing the oil/filter and sparkplugs to the belt off the water pump for 2 mins for some tests and the noise went away
never suspected it as never had any overheating issues but glad its not something too major internally.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If it comes back it could also be worth checking your engine mounts. A whack hard enough to crack the sump probably would have put a good bit of strain on them.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I'd carefully degrease all of the pulleys, idlers, radiator hoses, OTR plastic covers, engine wiring looms etc and any other oiled up engine components that can drip oil onto the engine belt.
Check that pulleys sound OK, no tight spots etc. and then fit a new serpentine belt.
The old belt could be cracked with dormant/absorbed engine oil, WD40, being released all the time, fouling the ribbed pulleys and contributing to slippage and a dirty engine compartment etc.

RJK's suggestion to check the engine mounts is worthy of a follow-up. I'd also look at the gearbox mounting and the tail shaft support bearing to be sure.

Don't use a pressure washer on the engine and engine bay connectors if possible. Your mechanic would have disturbed the sump based connectors (oil/level and temperature sensor comes to mind). Don't want electrical corrosion problems masking other running issues at this stage - AC clutch & compressor, alternator, ECU, relay block etc.

For the longer term, if needed, clean down front suspension (rubber bushes).