Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz commodore water damaged remote

whelannm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi Guys,

I believe my door remote has been water damaged and now wont unlock the car. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this and approx. costs? I have already tried unlocking the door with the key, but still don't seem to be able to start the car. The car is alarmed and the alarm goes off when you open the door but nothing else seems to work. I was told to turn the key to accessories and that should fix it but nothing has changed. I live in Deniliquin NSW so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Probably the first thing you could try would be to completely dry the interior of the remote. You can gain entry by using a sharp edge to gently pry between the two halves of the remote in order to separate them. Once opened, blow out any residual water and place the device in a sunny position for an hour or so. You can re-join the halves with some contact glue etc. Good luck.

whelannm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Tried that, but the immobiliser still wont release. Cant unlock with the remote at all. Car alarm just goes off, is their a way to disable the immobiliser?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
The battery in the remote is probably flat.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I've heard if you leave the key in the "on" position for two hours it by passes the immobiliser. I've never tested this.

Would be good to have a spare key hey......

I'd try drying it like you would a mobile phone, in rice, in the sun, etc. Try and get the old one working otherwise you're going to need a locksmith to call holden with your VIN and have a fresh key reprogrammed, probably around $200-$250. If you get the old one working, $110 for a new key at mister minute.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
my electrician mate tells me that the first thing to do when an appliance, phone, etc is immersed, is to get the battery out, to reduce damage from shorting.
Then dry it as best you can - cloth, sunlight, ventilation, etc.

The modern Commodore key has an electrical component, and a mechanical component.
The blade of the key will unlock the door; but it is the electrical component that deactivates the immobiliser.

I'd be asking around among the local locksmiths - you want one who is up to date automotive electronic security systems.

You won't know how much it will cost until he can tell you how much can be repaired, and how much needs to be replaced.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The battery in the remote is probably flat.

this, I reckon a fresh battery would get things happening.

Also what makes you "believe" it may have water damage? What happened???

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Pretty sure that the keys are waterproof, unless you've cracked it open before, so i doubt it's water damaged.
Probably just flat like others have said. I would just go and get a new head programmed for it, they will switch the blade out of your old key, then you have a new key.
Maybe get yourself a spare while you're at it ;)

edit: I looked into it when both of my keys were getting flat, it's not as simple as just opening it up and popping in a new battery. Best bet is getting it done right. I now have 4 remotes since I got new heads for both my originals.