Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Girls stuffed around by mechanics!

Girl with a VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ Executive
Hi there, my first time...
I have an 06 VZ that just had a service, new air filter, radiator and cap and coolant flush. It had a slight surge at higher speeds/up hills. Mechanic eventually changed the spark plugs and now it huffs (rough idle/missing?) like it wants to conk out and he can't find the problem cos it never does it for him, grrr. Seems to be once it gets put it drive, can be at lights, with or without air con, or anytime really. Doesn't do it all the time but will do it at least once while out and about. Can't take it back for a FIFTH time to these incompetents...!
Any ideas would be helpful, I'm not sure what to get my friend to look at. Thanks guys :help:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If your friend (or family member) is a member of an Auto Club (RACV< NRMA RAA etc) arrange with them to have the vehicle checked. They will do a complete (unbiased) report. Good luck.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Sticky IAC valve might cause that. Quick clean of the throttle body with a can of cleaner might help.

Mack78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
If your friend (or family member) is a member of an Auto Club (RACV< NRMA RAA etc) arrange with them to have the vehicle checked. They will do a complete (unbiased) report. Good luck.

What benboy said, is probably the best and cheapest way.
And Doc those post seem so so helpful

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
typical woman, been a member for over two years and has never posted anything.
needs help, posts immediately.

Seriously mate , if you can't offer help don't bother posting ,
To the op take the car back to the mechanic , and tell them to fix the problem , hell hath no fury like a woman scorned .

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I would be checking the ignition coils as well they are notorious for failure. Try cleaning out the intake/throttle body. Maybe some upper intake cleaner might help

Unfortunately, with a fault like this, unless it happens for them it can be hard to diagnose and it becomes a trial and error type deal. Best thing you can do is be mindful of when it happens and see if youve done anything in particular.

Girls arent the only ones stuff around by mechanics sometimes (if that is what has happened).

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
quote: "Girls arent the only ones stuff around by mechanics ..."
- I agree !
A lot of them are thieving morons. Before the helpful and generous mechanics who visit this site get upset - please remember that I didn't say "All of them ..."

Anyway, all of the above suggestions have merit.
But whenever I hear "spark plugs" and "VZ" in the same sentence, I wonder if they have used the correct plugs ?
VZ have very fancy plugs - very expensive - supposed to last 90,000km or so - is "iridium" the correct name ?

So, the first thing I'd look at is - what sort of plug has been installed, and is that what Holden recommends for the VZ ?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Has your mechanic got access to a scan tool, or perhaps go to a Holden dealer to check for present and past history fault codes on their Tech2.
This could give you an idea of where to go for fault finding.

If you are near a Super Cheap Auto shop, some shops have diagnostic testing for about $30.
Vehicle Diagnostics - Supercheap Auto Australia

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Has your mechanic got access to a scan tool, or perhaps go to a Holden dealer to check for present and past history fault codes on their Tech2.
This could give you an idea of where to go for fault finding.

If you are near a Super Cheap Auto shop, some shops have diagnostic testing for about $30.
Vehicle Diagnostics - Supercheap Auto Australia

That's good advice, though I am still amazed at how many people don't do their own scanning.
I started doing it this year, and if you have an Android phone or tablet, it's a piece of cake.

All you need is an OBD2 scanner like this one:
2014 Hhobd ELM327 CAR OBD2 Obdii Bluetooth CAN Scanner FOR Torque Android Auto | eBay

And a copy of TORQUE:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

$20-$30 and you have your own scanning and monitoring system that can run anytime.
And you can lend it to mates.

If a code comes up, it links to a database on the Internet that tells you what it means.

I have mine running all the time.
It also warns of "pending" faults - often a day or so before the POWERTRAIN FAULT (which can mean any of a dozen things) or whatever comes up, and it gives you a lot more detail.

I've used it to analyze my car, mates' cars, and even check whether they would benefit from, say, a cold-air intake.

Seriously, why wouldn't you do this?

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
That's good advice, though I am still amazed at how many people don't do their own scanning.
I started doing it this year, and if you have an Android phone or tablet, it's a piece of cake.

All you need is an OBD2 scanner like this one:
2014 Hhobd ELM327 CAR OBD2 Obdii Bluetooth CAN Scanner FOR Torque Android Auto | eBay

And a copy of TORQUE:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

$20-$30 and you have your own scanning and monitoring system that can run anytime.
And you can lend it to mates.

If a code comes up, it links to a database on the Internet that tells you what it means.

I have mine running all the time.
It also warns of "pending" faults - often a day or so before the POWERTRAIN FAULT (which can mean any of a dozen things) or whatever comes up, and it gives you a lot more detail.

I've used it to analyze my car, mates' cars, and even check whether they would benefit from, say, a cold-air intake.

Seriously, why wouldn't you do this?

Good advice mate, i've seen the $5 blue coloured bluetooth scanners on ebay but I thought for $5 they must be crap.
Sounds like it might be worth a second look.. cheers :)