Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec oil leak

300kplusvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ alloytec commodore
Don't know if anyone can help me here but I've had some major oil leak's from what I thought was the valve covers and maybe intake gaskets.
I replaced both valve cover gaskets and the bottom intake gasket but I seem to be getting a very slight leak coming out of the back somewhere of the intake manifold.
I really wouldn't give a **** about this normally seeings that the car has done over 340,000km's, but upon removal of the valve covers I was presented with extremely clean valve gear and vurtually no slug at all!
Does anyone know of any common oil leaks from behind the intake manifold?
If so, could you let me know cause even with my little mirror I can't see much behind the motor.
BTW, the intake was torqued down to 23nm as suggest in my little Bible.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Any chance of taking a pic so we can see exactly what you mean?

The only thing i could think of, without seeing any images, check your throttle body and see if its got any oil in it, and then check the upper intake gasket.

Big assumption, but maybe the blow-by oil is leaking out of the upper intake gasket after its been drawn through the intake.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Make sure that the PCV tube that comes from the top of the Plenum Chamber (both left and right) then goes to the back of the engine and joins together in a 'Y' junction is not split or has come adrift. If so, it could be depositing oil at the back of the motor allowing it to deposit and run down towards the transmission etc.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Don't know if anyone can help me here but I've had some major oil leak's from what I thought was the valve covers and maybe intake gaskets.
I replaced both valve cover gaskets and the bottom intake gasket but I seem to be getting a very slight leak coming out of the back somewhere of the intake manifold.
I really wouldn't give a **** about this normally seeings that the car has done over 340,000km's, but upon removal of the valve covers I was presented with extremely clean valve gear and vurtually no slug at all!
Does anyone know of any common oil leaks from behind the intake manifold?
If so, could you let me know cause even with my little mirror I can't see much behind the motor.
BTW, the intake was torqued down to 23nm as suggest in my little Bible.

Hi 300KplusVZ

If you haven't already done so, de-grease and wash the whole engine down so you can pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

300kplusvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ alloytec commodore
Yeah thanks for the replies guys, after replacing the bottom intake and valve covers I gave it a good degrease but as you probably know, you can't see much round the back of the motor even with an adjustable mirror.
And as for the upper intake gasket, I was just thinking the same thought's today because it doesn't leak when it's running and only seeps when it's not running, which indicates to me that it could be getting sucked in when running......I would have thought though that I'd have a bit of a vacuum leak if that were the case.
Anyway, I'll buy an upper gasket and see how it goes and let you know.
Once again, thanks for the replies guys.