Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Exhaust

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Hey guys. Recently upgraded from a VZ executive to a VZ SS and best decision I ever made.

I've picked up some cheap pacemaker 4-1s and a 3" difillipo cat back, but need some high flow cats to bolt in between, also need new flange gaskets and manifold gaskets as the stuff i bought is used, also need 4 o2 sensor extensions too I believe.
The car is also kinda low (SL front SSL rear) so can't have anything that doesn't sit tight to the body. I'm going to ring around a few exhaust places for a quote, one guy I spoke to today reckons about $1500ish to fit, which includes making up a custom cat assembly to fit.

If I wanna have a go myself, what kinda cats should I be looking at? Is there any way to get something which will just bolt on to both ends and not hang too low, or would that require a bit of welding to get it right?
Not to sure on any of this as I've never done more than a cat back before.

I'm gonna ring around a few more places, but if a mate and I can fit it ourselves that would be ideal.

What do you guys reckon is the best way to go to get this system fitted well? Also can anyone recommend a good place to grab all the gaskets, extenders and **** I will need in 1 go.

Next step is an OTR and mafless tune, i've already picked up a cheap VCM OTR too so looking at getting all this done very soon.

Let me know what you guys think, cheers.

Alternatively, i'll also take suggestions on exhaust/performance places to call to get it all fitted well at a good price, and if they can do the mafless tune at the same time even better.
I'm pretty out of the loop so not sure where is good, but im NOR\work in aussie park.

uJzUBoc.jpg

Cheers

EDIT:

Been doing my own research, just to add to my confusion for the 4 O2 sensor leads I need, are the pre and post cats different types?
eg.
VZ needs 2 of these for the pre cat and 2 of these for post cat?

Last edited:

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
If it is a ls1 it only has two O2 sensors pre cat.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
its a VZ LS1, pretty sure they have 4, pre and post.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
If the difilippo bolts where the stock catback does you should be able to get some cats with pre welded flanges to suit your long tube extractors. I got some off naaf when I did my extractors. Just depends where the pacemakers sit if you know what I mean.

As for hanging down low the 4 - 1's will be the lowest part. Tuck em up as much as you can when fitting them. Mine sat too low with sl's though. Right on the flange. But you never know. My engine mounts might have sunk or something.

Ebay sells oxy extenders for 50 each.

I'd do it myself. Save 700 or so on laybour. (Cats about 600 loom 200 ish)I did it all myself with just jack stands. Headers are a pain to get on without a hoist but I managed to get them both on from underneath. Was annoying though.

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
Vz ls1 only run the 2 o2 sensors. The ls2 run 4. I bought second had di fillipo extractors for my vz ss and had to put two bungs in as it came of a ls2 clubby

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
thanks guys, i've had a few people tell me that all VZs have 4, both 5.7 and 6L.
I'll find out today as i'm chucking the cat back on, so will get a good look at it all while on the hoist and might have a better idea about how to bolt it all together.
may snap a pic if i see anything interesting like 4 O2 sensors :p

edit: Should be able to find out which extensions i need them too, the square of the flat ones.
will make sure to update here for future reference if i am wrong.

Last edited:

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
Should be the flat ones you need. Good luck with the installation. Bet you cant wait to have the system on the car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I can do bolt on 200 cell high flows $660 shipped. The back ones will be fine, you will have to extend the front ones which are square plug.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Thanks guys, yea couldn't wait to get it on, I've driving around with it in the boot since Monday. I got the catback on after work today, and now it finally sounds like I'm driving an SS.
Gotta say I am bloody happy with the difillipo system, absolutely no drone, real quiet while cruising around, but nice tough sounding when I put my foot down.
Drove around for a while tonight and put it through it's paces, pretty much exactly what I was after.

Now my problem is can't wait to fit the headers.

To clear up the O2 sensor issue, the VZ LS1 does only have 2, not 4, so previously I was misinformed and stand corrected.

NAAF I thought you might show up here, that seems like a pretty good price so you might get a call from me soon.

Cheers guys, will be back to update once the rest of the system goes on.