Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body swap

katoclack

Reaction score
Members Ride
GT
Gday mateys! Here is something crazy I've been thinking of.

A colleague's got a VZ Calais V8 that's been sitting outside a workshop collecting dust.
Got in an accident a while back. Messed up the chassis. No insurance.
Other than the frame, everything else is in mint condition. The car's only done 58k!

Never got around to fixing it. He doesn't care much for it now and is willing to sell, well actually more like give, it to me for peanuts.

So instead of fixing it, which would cost a fortune, hence not being worth it, I thought of getting a VY SV6 "body" from the wreckers and swapping everything from the Calais to the VY. As far as I know, the body is the same. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

I don't mind the work. It will be something to keep me busy during my off days in the middle of the desert where I will be shipped off to for 6 months.

Things i'm concerned about:
1. Sun roof. Where does the wire that powers the sun roof lead to? Is it connected to the entire loom behind the dash?

2. Will the loom that runs along the side of the car under the carpet in the interior have to be swapped as well?

3. What about fuel lines and ABS lines? Will they also have to be replaced or can I use the SV6's?

4. Side air bags. Anything to be concerned about there?

That's about all I'm thinking of atm. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Gday mateys! Here is something crazy I've been thinking of.

A colleague's got a VZ Calais V8 that's been sitting outside a workshop collecting dust.
Got in an accident a while back. Messed up the chassis. No insurance.
Other than the frame, everything else is in mint condition. The car's only done 58k!

Never got around to fixing it. He doesn't care much for it now and is willing to sell, well actually more like give, it to me for peanuts.

So instead of fixing it, which would cost a fortune, hence not being worth it, I thought of getting a VY SV6 "body" from the wreckers and swapping everything from the Calais to the VY. As far as I know, the body is the same. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

I don't mind the work. It will be something to keep me busy during my off days in the middle of the desert where I will be shipped off to for 6 months.

Things i'm concerned about:
1. Sun roof. Where does the wire that powers the sun roof lead to? Is it connected to the entire loom behind the dash?

Vehicles with factory sunroofs have additional bracing and strengthening. Your intended modification may not comply with Australian Design Rules. A vehicle must comply with ALL ADR's that existed for said vehicle at time of manufacture.

2. Will the loom that runs along the side of the car under the carpet in the interior have to be swapped as well?

Will depend on factory options and or features present in the Calais that the SV6 did/does not have.

3. What about fuel lines and ABS lines? Will they also have to be replaced or can I use the SV6's?

Again, it will depend on any variation(s) that exist between models.

Same would apply in regards to Australian Design Rules.

That's about all I'm thinking of atm. Anything else I should be concerned about?

Suggest you consult with appropriately qualified Engineer in order to satisfy yourself in regard to all requirements relating to roadworthiness and registration approval etc.

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Good luck.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

you will need to check that the evaporative loss system is the same. i wouldnt be surprised if it were different, as the charcoal cannister may need to be slightly larger to allow for the bigger engine and dead-head fuel system. as long as the SV6 fuel system is also dead-head (i.e. the fuel lines dont return to the tank) then you should be good to just leave all the wiring there.

as far as side airbags go, you may as well leave the SV6 seats in it to uncomplicate your life. if you have time later, then swap them later.

the BCM is where its gonna get tricky. im not sure if the V8 BCM will just plug-and-play into the SV6 loom. you may get lucky and theyre a straight swap, however even if that is the case, you will need to get a tuner to relink the BCM to the new PCM, otherwise nothing will work.

but, the easiest (and also hardest) way, would be to strip the entire car right down to the chassis and swap everything. it will be a MAMMOTH undertaking. but if your time is free, then i cant see why not. i doubt you will get it all done in 6 months though.

Vehicles with factory sunroofs have additional bracing and strengthening. Your intended modification may not comply with Australian Design Rules. A vehicle must comply with ALL ADR's that existed for said vehicle at time of manufacture.

rubbish. only thing different about a sunroof is that it sits lower than a flat roof and needs drainage. there are no ADR's that cover sunroofs.

OP why are you asking though? chaging over a roof is something that even pro's with the proper jigs/racks would be hesitant to undertake. if one of your braces pops off while the roof is off, the car will fold in the middle and itll be next to impossible to ever get it to sit right again.

katoclack

Reaction score
Members Ride
GT
you will need to check that the evaporative loss system is the same. i wouldnt be surprised if it were different, as the charcoal cannister may need to be slightly larger to allow for the bigger engine and dead-head fuel system. as long as the SV6 fuel system is also dead-head (i.e. the fuel lines dont return to the tank) then you should be good to just leave all the wiring there.

I know Ecotecs have return fuel lines, any idea of Alloytechs are the same?

........but, the easiest (and also hardest) way, would be to strip the entire car right down to the chassis and swap everything. it will be a MAMMOTH undertaking. but if your time is free, then i cant see why not. i doubt you will get it all done in 6 months though.

Why do you think so? Off the top of my head its just engine, transmission, suspenstion, k-frames, looms, interior trims, sunroof, bars, lights and little things here and there. Give at most a week for each of them i should be looking at 10 weeks (a little over 2 months) lets say 3 months at moths,,or am i looking at it wrong

OP why are you asking though? chaging over a roof is something that even pro's with the proper jigs/racks would be hesitant to undertake. if one of your braces pops off while the roof is off, the car will fold in the middle and itll be next to impossible to ever get it to sit right again.

This is my plan of attack but for this bit im going to have the pros handle it

Last edited by a moderator:

katoclack

Reaction score
Members Ride
GT
Hello everyone just dicovered that the firewall on the vy is different than the vz,,evything else looks the same. I think i will have to change the fuel lines also as the vy has a return fuel line but the vz v8 doestn. Question now is how feasible is replaceing the firewall and doing the feul lines?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you're going to all the trouble to track down a decent VY shell, why not just spend the time trying to find a VZ shell and save a lot of hassles? If you prefer the look of the VY, the front end panels are interchangeable (ie bonnet, grille, lights, bumper and bumper facia. Guards are the same.)

PS SV6 was not available until the VZ.

katoclack

Reaction score
Members Ride
GT
If you're going to all the trouble to track down a decent VY shell, why not just spend the time trying to find a VZ shell and save a lot of hassles? If you prefer the look of the VY, the front end panels are interchangeable (ie bonnet, grille, lights, bumper and bumper facia. Guards are the same.)

PS SV6 was not available until the VZ.

Already found one. Of course wouldve preferred a vz but can't find one with the same color. I could paint it but then it would not look factory as the inside panels will be of different color. Of course i could paint the inside as well but then again it will again not look factory. Curious, what is "the look of the VY"???, i thought except for the front bar, bonnet, head and tail lights, they were identical.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Already found one. Of course wouldve preferred a vz but can't find one with the same color. I could paint it but then it would not look factory as the inside panels will be of different color. Of course i could paint the inside as well but then again it will again not look factory. Curious, what is "the look of the VY"???, i thought except for the front bar, bonnet, head and tail lights, they were identical.

When you first posted, I got the impression that you were after a VY for some reason, rather than a VZ. I just assumed you preferred the VY's design. As you said, it's really only minor differences around the front panels and minor tweaks to the rear lights and bumper.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
just dicovered that the firewall on the vy is different than the vz,

My understanding is that the firewall panel is glued in during assembly.

Maybe you can buy a new firewall and paint it to match if you can cut the old firewall out.
My VT's firewall had separated from the cabin shell and it leaked water onto the passenger front floor.
Holden used some type of "mastic" glue to repair the leak. Hope it was structural glue and not gap filler.

katoclack

Reaction score
Members Ride
GT
My understanding is that the firewall panel is glued in during assembly.

Maybe you can buy a new firewall and paint it to match if you can cut the old firewall out.
My VT's firewall had separated from the cabin shell and it leaked water onto the passenger front floor.
Holden used some type of "mastic" glue to repair the leak. Hope it was structural glue and not gap filler.

Thank you matey! Much needed info there. Makes sense bcuz i noticed that there was some type of clear silicone around the firewall. I have a very important question now. Is the firewall connected to the dashboard panel??????