Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

big hp slow ets

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
hey all,

I have been reading and searching on similar posts and am confused with a few things so im hoping I can get some opinions, firstly I have read about pples cars power and et times for example vz commodores having around 255rwkw upto 280rwkw running into low 12s and high 11s with 1.6 to 1.7 60's? running with the same type of driveline setup however with having around 330rwkw im managing low 12s with 1.9 60', I have no idea or why I cant get them same figures if not lower, ppl say its the weight factor but its the same model car , also pple mention its to do with suspension setup how does that make for quicker times please explain? be interesting to know what you have and if you have some et times also cheers.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
torque wins races not HP you may need a Torque convertor to get it on song easier or a different launch technique better tyres better suspension.
do you have wheel spin issues.if you dropped your 60 foot from 1.9 to 1.6 youll gain around 0.6 seconds over the 1/4

VZSSCHASE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6l
hey delco,

I do have some fairly good torque as it is, I have a 3500 converter, tyres are good ets as of suspension I don't know I run kings is there any other good suspension that would be better for the track? no wheelspin this is why im confused I cant decent ets.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Basically it's two things slowing it, wheel spin and your not noticing or the driver.
Explain exactly what you do from staging to crossing the finish line.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I have a 255rwkw head, cammed (220/220) LS1, running 3.9's, 4000 stall, custom koni 90/10's in the front, pedders lowered in the rear.

Car has ran 12.04 @ 114 with a 1.7 60'

Some say more squat in the rear (fe2 springs), weight has a little to do with it but SS's usually are lighter than other V8 models. There are so many varying factors with your car vs other cars with close to the same mods. but please don't be fooled with rwkw numbers as they are just numbers used for tuning

What is your car reving out to?
What size stall and diff?
Are you stalling it up or just flashing the throttle off the line?
Do you have a trans cooler, and do you cool the car down between runs?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't compare ET's, compare MPH as this is a good guide to HP (or more accurately torque).

ET's are all about gearing/traction (taking out the human element).

Sounds like you want/need more converter and gears to optimise for ET's and then work on suspension to ensure traction to achieve those ET's.

Get someone to record some of your runs to see exactly what the car is doing out of the hole.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Track location, ambient temp, tyre temp, tyre wear, fuel quality and MORE! These are all factors that need to be taken into consideration. Hell even your own weight and mental state (ie focused, not tired) take their toll.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
My money is on it having ultra low kings fitted.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Or incorrect comparison figures.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67