Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alloytec HIGH oil presure

chrispy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 6sp Manual VZ ute
yesterday driving my tonner,189k, the SVS light came on, came home, connected my tech 2 up and came up with P0521- oil pressure sensor range/performance code.

took it to my local mechanic who pressure tested the oil and came up with these figures
idle 300kpa (factory 69kpa)
@2000 rpm 550kpa (138kpa)

my mechanic said it could it could be either timing chains or relief valve stuck closed.

is this what it could be or is there something else.

they also told me if its the oil pump, the motor has to come out, would it be advisable to do anything else while the motor is out?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Did he check it with a mechanical gauge in an actual pressure port in the motor or did he just plug in a scan tool to see the pressure?

chrispy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 6sp Manual VZ ute
Did he check it with a mechanical gauge in an actual pressure port in the motor or did he just plug in a scan tool to see the pressure?

mechanical gauge in the pressure senor hole. had to make an adaptor to fit his gauge

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
they also told me if its the oil pump, the motor has to come out
Guess you have the V8?
If you have an alloytec then the front timing cover and timing chains come off to get access. Also the alloytec pump is supposedly irreparable.

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
I have a VZ one tonner with the 175 Alloytec V6. Just had the heads off. You will need to take the front cover and the three timing chains off but I can't see that you would need to take the engine out. Oil pump is on the front of the engine.
If you have the V6 Alloytec I would think of replacing the water pump (or at least the gasket, mine was leaking), and possible the three timing chains if you have had any indication of stretching. If you get any sort of a kit you will have the two water pump seals and a variety of gaskets. I have seen a timing chain kit on ebay for about $450.

chrispy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 6sp Manual VZ ute
I have a VZ one tonner with the 175 Alloytec V6. Just had the heads off. You will need to take the front cover and the three timing chains off but I can't see that you would need to take the engine out. Oil pump is on the front of the engine.
If you have the V6 Alloytec I would think of replacing the water pump (or at least the gasket, mine was leaking), and possible the three timing chains if you have had any indication of stretching. If you get any sort of a kit you will have the two water pump seals and a variety of gaskets. I have seen a timing chain kit on ebay for about $450.

Yes have the v6 175. Had the water pump replaced nit long ago, had rusted out, mechanic said he cant here the timing chains rattle, but wouldn't know until he opened it up and had a good look. I can get the parts required from repco at trade for $1000. This is a bit of of league of farm/bush mechanics so going to let my mechanic deal with it.

Mechanic said hes never heard of a vz with a dicky oil pump, let alone one with high oil presure

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
Good luck. I will be interested to hear how you eventually solve the problem. I have the opposite at the moment. I fitted an oil pressure gauge which when coasting down hills when hot can occasionally register zero with accompanying flashing red lights. My oil pressure light does not come on so I figure it might be just a faulty gauge. I will try a mechanical gauge one day and see what happens.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Good luck. I will be interested to hear how you eventually solve the problem. I have the opposite at the moment. I fitted an oil pressure gauge which when coasting down hills when hot can occasionally register zero with accompanying flashing red lights. My oil pressure light does not come on so I figure it might be just a faulty gauge. I will try a mechanical gauge one day and see what happens.

With a v6?

If so, it's a common problem. Put another litre of oil in and see what it does

RattletecForLyf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute 3.6 alloytec
End up finding out what the problem was?