Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

svs wont go

brianwanless

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ one tonner
Got my 04 VZ one tonner v6 back from mech today. Could not find any problems with his Snap on tools reader. But still have svs. He says it is because some one has fitted a starter button, instead of key start. Nothing wrong with computor, new oil sender. But he cant get rid of svs. Anybody help with this please.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Perhaps you might consider removing/disabling the Starter Button !

brianwanless

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ one tonner
Thanks Benboy, thats the next step. The button was fitted before I bought the ute and assumed the key start was not working, the button was the cheapest repair. I will take it to a lecky next. I am still wondering why the button causes the svs signal.

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
I think the SVS is generated by a lot of different faults. I would have thought any sort of code reader would give you an idea of what the fault was. Ideally a Tech 2 but I am sure there are others that would at least give you a code to investigate. I assume he cleared the codes with his code reader?

brianwanless

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ one tonner
He cleared the codes, it also had an airbag code that came up when I started it with the drivers seat out. He got rid of that, but not the svs. Bloody chimes are a pain.

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
I know about the chimes, I had them constantly repeating with a Check Powertrain message. You mention codes (plural); do you know what the other codes were? It is good to have a reader/clearer device because you can clear the codes, change something and then see if it comes back. There are some cheap ones on ebay but you have to make sure they work on a Commodore. The one I bought originally worked well on my daughter's Vectra but would not work on my Commodore so I ended up buying a Tech 2. I would say the fault whatever it was is still there. The one I had originally would reoccur after about 5 minutes of driving. The clue I got from the reader was that it was a fault with injectors on cylinders 1, 3, and 5 (3 codes).

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Get onto someone with a Tech 2 mate, it can read the SVS codes that won't come up in other scanners.

brianwanless

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ one tonner
Thanks for all the help. As soon as I get back, away at the moment, I will see if the lecky has the tech 2 reader. The airbag and svs were the only warnings I got but the mech may have found more.

SpunRubber

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ M6 R8 clubby and 10 VE M6 GTS
Hey mate, had this sort of problem myself. Mine ended up being a knock sensor on passengers side ( of LS2 )

turbo ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY S UTE
Had the service soon svs come up every time the vz crewman started up and at random times while driving along.Changed the oil pressure switch below the oil filter housing and the warning was gone when it was restarted.

Disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work..