Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz manual transmission problem

Nick_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Commodore Vz Ute
Hey guys this is my first time posting but I have a major issue, I have a 2004 Vz manual ute, yesterday I drove the car normally and it was fine but today when I went to drive it the car got stuck in 4th gear and is impossible to get out of 4th gear. I checked the transmission oil level and that was fine and the linkage seems to be fine also, and ideas on what the problem could be?
Cheers

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
With the engine off, can you have someone sit in it, holding abit of pressure on the gear lever (so as too go to neutral ) and rock it back and forth with enough force so you can feel it. With a bit of luck it might release if its bound up.
You haven't been playing boy racer and trying to shift lightening fast ? Could be a broken syncro ring.
You don't say if its a 6cyl / V8

Nick_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that I'll give it a go and see if it works.
No haven't been doing anything stupid in the ute just driving normally, I have only had it for 2 weeks.
Sorry it's a 6cyl mate, when I was driving it yesterday it was perfectly normal like no noises or anything and this morning when I went to drive it, it just got stuck in 4th but still no noises in the gearbox

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
O.k you should have Aisin D173 AY6 in the ute if its a 5 speed. If you cant get it to release by rocking it. Does your clutch feel like you,ve got good pedal, by that I mean when you push on the pedal can you feel it take up. Might pay to give a few g/box places a buzz and tell them what issues you are having

Nick_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
O.k you should have Aisin D173 AY6 in the ute if its a 5 speed. If you cant get it to release by rocking it. Does your clutch feel like you,ve got good pedal, by that I mean when you push on the pedal can you feel it take up. Might pay to give a few g/box places a buzz and tell them what issues you are having

No it's the 6 speed Aisin D173 gearbox mate and I had no luck releasing it, gearbox shops seem to think its a broken selector in the gearbox itself so I'll drop the gearbox out and most likely take it into a shop

Rocket 007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz cross8
Hi Nick 23 i know your post was a old one but i have the same problem as you had
What was the problem with your gearbox stuck in 4th gear