Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle from Front Suspension - Sway Bar Link?

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Hey guys, started getting a rattle (like coins in your pocket) from the front drivers side. It's only brief and when going over things like road joins and train tracks. My car has done 55,000kms and has the Z type double ball joint link pins, not the L shape ones with all the washers etc.

Was lowered a couple of months back on Munroe shocks/struts with ultra-low Kings. Z-bar bushes were replaced with Nolathane.

I've had 3 different places have a look and I've looked myself. Nothing identified. The link pins seem fine and I've bump tested everything, exhaust/cats, tranny lines etc. Can't seem to locate it. Car drives fine, it's just annoying the $h!t outta me. Any ideas?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
strut top bushes and bearings?

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
strut top bushes and bearings?

Thanks, but I replaced those with genuine parts when the struts were done in June or July..

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
anti rattle plates in callipers, front bar tends to clunk when stuffed (unless the D bush's are totally stuffed)

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Hmmm, anti rattle plates you say?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
To eliminate the Sway Bar bushes, undo the 4 nuts, remove the retaining yoke and physically check the bushes. If they are dry, cracked or obviously worn, replace them with new ones (they aren't all that expensive) - make sure you grease them and the contact surfaces of the bar during re-installation.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
That jingle type noise you described sure sounds like the sway bar link pin bush.

Could the steel convex washers that hold the rubber donuts be assembled the wrong way around? The convex sides support (points towards) the donut. =)0l0(=
If they're cupping them they might jingle.

Another thing to check is that the flange on the link supporting the washers isn't flogging out.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
I'll probably be doing rotors (changing to DBA slotted) and pads anyway in the next week or so, which should eliminate the anti-rattle plates mentioned above. If that doesn't work then I'll do the link pins. If it's not sorted after that then I'm stumped. Will update the thread as I go but thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. If anybody has any other ideas then keep 'em coming. Cheers guys.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll probably be doing rotors (changing to DBA slotted) and pads anyway in the next week or so, which should eliminate the anti-rattle plates mentioned above. .

The anti rattle plates are in between the brake pads and caliper.....they're there to stop the pad moving in the caliper and causing noises

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1