Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ with VE wheels

WGN-LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0L Berlina wagon
Hi all,

I have updated the VTII Exec 5.7 auto wagon to an early build 9/2005 VZ 6.0L Berlina wagon with factory leather. It was originally a Holden captured test vehicle for the 6.0L V8 & all the services were done at either Fishermans Bend engine plant or at the Lang Lang proving ground.

The local tyre shop told me the VE wheels are not supposed to be fitted to the earlier models but he couldn't tell me exactly why!! . . . . & my car has VE Calais V wheels fitted to it.

What is the difference between VZ & VE wheels??

Cheers,

Jeff.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Quick search would have answered this. Don't need bigger studs, just nuts with a larger tapered face. Centre holds the load. For the most part, studs and nuts are to locate the rim. Centre bore is slightly larger on the earlier models.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
I've had VE wheels on my VY and VZ Calais for years without an issue. If you machine the centre to much you'll put load on the studs and they won't like it.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
if you trawl through the older threads, &/or use the "search" function, you'll find numerous threads on this subject.
There are two opinions - one that says that tampering with VE rims is ok; and the other.

If you're considering steel wheels - you'll notice that the steel is reinforced at the centre bore, so if you remove that, then you've seriously weakened the rim.
I don't think that the problem is as serious when considering mags.

But remember: the studs and nuts are to prevent lateral movement of the wheel; the weight of the car is borne where the hub meets the centre-bore. As A9L says when this load is shifted to the studs, then failure is more likely.

Or you might consider this: GMH pay a fortune to a design team of trained engineers.
Or do you prefer to rely on the theories of amateurs, for your own safety, and the safety of your passengers, and of other road users ?

Given that your car has an unusual history, I'd be wondering if it was fitted or retro-fitted with VE hubs the factory.

Last edited:

WGN-LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0L Berlina wagon
Jeepers, thanks a lot for all the info guys.

I might have to pull the wheels off & get some VZ & VE measurements from local Holden dealer for hubs/studs etc & see what my car has because as Shorty33 said, she has an interesting history & you just never know.

Thanks again.