Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant leak

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hey hey ,
I've got small leak from the bottom right side of radiator , I don't think its the hose as that is dry , it an intermittent leak as well , any ideas and help greatly appreciated .
:beer chug:

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 225

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
You will have to get a better look could be a crack in the plastic end tanks to the rubber tank seals. Also hose's sometimes get a very small hole and only leak under the correct pressure or curtain flex.

Dry the area best you can get the car up to temp and pressurized and reinspect. Is it definitely coolant not atf?.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Definitely coolant , my thoughts are similar to yours , it appears to hold pressure , but haven't really properly checked that
Cheers

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Yeah bloody coolant leaks i would say get a coolant pressure test done but the test units come at a cost. Unless you know a mech/workshop that will do it for you without asking for $$.

Those Atf banjo line fittings can also slice in to radiator hose too. Once you had a good look get back to us just don't drive it too much and watch the temp gauge like a cop :) best of luck.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not overheating at all , and the gauge stays where it should , it's going to the workshop nextweek , and its a small leak but a leak all the same , plus I'm not driving it great distances ,
cheers again

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Yes, mine leaked at the join from the plastic tank to the aluminium core, but it only did it when it was cold when first started, replaced radiator and problem fixed.

I went to 2 different radiator shops while travelling out west, and they both didn't have the adapter to suit the screw cap to pressure test the system.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I popped into Repco earlier just to see how much a pressure tester cost , holy **** they're expensive part of me thinks when I had the wheels painted , they also resprayed the front bumper , whether they took it off to do it I don't know , but something might have been knocked in the process

DeanoV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Crack in the plastic radiator tank, that’s where mine went and it only leaked intermittently

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
That seems to be the general view time will tell , it's going in on Monday as I've mentioned its a small leak , but small leaks often turn into bigger ones.