Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

extractors and high flow cats added to ssz v8

god007

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssz vz
hi sorry if in wrong area i just had a set of extractors and high flow cats added to my car the installer accidently broke the heads of the nuts going into the block which left the threads in ....he still completed the job and sealed up the holes saying this should be ok for maybe 6 months but eventually will have to have the extractors off and have the two threaded bolts taken out costing big bucks ......should i just continue driving and just wait for the leak to happen or get it fixed straight away ......
Any advice out there please ...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
He damaged your car, he has to repair it or pay for repairs. Do it sooner rather than later.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
TWO threaded bolts!?

Yeah get it done now, by someone a little more competent.

Also, while it sucks, he is not liable and will have made you sign something saying that all damage blah blah blah is not our problem.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Get it done asap you can almost be sure it will let go at the worst possible time. I agree with both replies above it will be a battle to get him to repair it god daam 1st world problems. Hope it works out in your favour...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
TWO threaded bolts!?

Yeah get it done now, by someone a little more competent.

Also, while it sucks, he is not liable and will have made you sign something saying that all damage blah blah blah is not our problem.

In sum that limits full liability in case of death or some great malfunction. All motor vehicle repairers in Australia have a responsibility, as with any other trade to ensure that the work carried out is done in a ‘workmanship like manner’. This is a responsibility brought under the Fair Trading legislation, other similar legislation, and common law.
As you would expect, if a part fitted by a workshop is defective, substandard or unfit for its intended purpose, and if it is the ‘cause’ of an accident, a customer (but not another person such as a passenger, pedestrian or subsequent owner of a vehicle) can bring a contractual claim against the workshop under section 74 of the Trade Practices Act 1974.
However a claim could also be brought under section 74 if the workshop did not exercise due care and skill in carrying out repairs or testing.
Section 74 implies a non-excludable warranty into contracts for the supply of services by workshops to customers:
that services will be carried out with due care and skill and
that any components supplied in connection with those services will be reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are supplied.
In NSW this case (less than $80,000) can be brought through the CTTT for $138 and basically have enforceable orders made within the week.
Similar warranties are implied by common law into contracts for the supply of services by workshops.
For example, if a customer could establish that a workshop did not exercise due care and skill in fitting a disc brake calliper, or if the customer could establish that a disc brake rotor fitted by the workshop was below recommended minimum operating thickness, the workshop could be held liable to the customer under section 74 or under common law.
If it were me I'd talk to him about his options and unless he agrees to full repair at no charge then get it done elsewhere and send him bill to pay within 7 days. After 21 days take it through your State equivalent of CTTT.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
No mechanic or shop has ever asked me to sign a waiver, if they did I would go somewhere else as it suggests they are not confident or competent enough to do the job. Excluding things like a tune or something out of the ordinary with inherent risks, which installing an exhaust isnt.

As PIR4TE said they took on the job they broke it doing what you paid them to do therefore they should fix it, unless you did sign said waiver. I would go back and kindly ask them to repair it. If they fob you off find out what your next course of action is from the ombudsman.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
In sum that limits full liability in case of death or some great malfunction. All motor vehicle repairers in Australia have a responsibility, as with any other trade to ensure that the work carried out is done in a ‘workmanship like manner’. This is a responsibility brought under the Fair Trading legislation, other similar legislation, and common law.
As you would expect, if a part fitted by a workshop is defective, substandard or unfit for its intended purpose, and if it is the ‘cause’ of an accident, a customer (but not another person such as a passenger, pedestrian or subsequent owner of a vehicle) can bring a contractual claim against the workshop under section 74 of the Trade Practices Act 1974.
However a claim could also be brought under section 74 if the workshop did not exercise due care and skill in carrying out repairs or testing.
Section 74 implies a non-excludable warranty into contracts for the supply of services by workshops to customers:
that services will be carried out with due care and skill and
that any components supplied in connection with those services will be reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are supplied.
In NSW this case (less than $80,000) can be brought through the CTTT for $138 and basically have enforceable orders made within the week.
Similar warranties are implied by common law into contracts for the supply of services by workshops.
For example, if a customer could establish that a workshop did not exercise due care and skill in fitting a disc brake calliper, or if the customer could establish that a disc brake rotor fitted by the workshop was below recommended minimum operating thickness, the workshop could be held liable to the customer under section 74 or under common law.
Does the above still apply if the OP supplied the goods???