Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec intermittent start problem

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Hi Guys

Got an ongoing issue with my vz for a couple of months now. Almost every other time it starts perfectly first turnover but maybe 1 in 15 starts it will take up to 5 turnovers before it fires up. Been to 3 mechanics and noone seems to be able to fault it. No codes showing up or anything. Car only has 62,000ks on it and doesnt seem to matter if its cold or hot, fuel full or near empty or anything. It seems completely random.

Anyone had this issue before or have any suggestions. Im almost willing to try anything at this stage.

Cheers
James

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Noone has any ideas?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Is there a little red padlock flashing on the dash when this happens?

my vz done this a couple times and I was told to press the unlock button on key before you start it.Even if the car is unlocked.

I always press it now before I start it and I have never had the problem since.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Noone has any ideas?

Hi There,

Look to be honest I would take it to Holden. I say this because despite honorable intentions and best endeavors, most mechanics will not have a Tech 2 diagnostic tool at their disposal (they are very expensive). Generic analyzers have their place, but when it's something intermittent like that, your best chance is Holden. But that's just my opinion. It's well worth pursuing with such a low mileage vehicle and I'm sure you will get it sorted.

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is there a little red padlock flashing on the dash when this happens?

my vz done this a couple times and I was told to press the unlock button on key before you start it.Even if the car is unlocked.

I always press it now before I start it and I have never had the problem since.

I thought about that but if it was the immobilizer it shouldnt do anything at all when you turn the key. It always turns over everytime just the occasional times it doesnt fire up until its 4th or 5th revolution. Ill give it a try anyway. Thanks

Hi There,

Look to be honest I would take it to Holden. I say this because despite honorable intentions and best endeavors, most mechanics will not have a Tech 2 diagnostic tool at their disposal (they are very expensive). Generic analyzers have their place, but when it's something intermittent like that, your best chance is Holden. But that's just my opinion. It's well worth pursuing with such a low mileage vehicle and I'm sure you will get it sorted.

Ive been thinking about it but im actually really scared to take my car in there. Im not very trusting leaving my car with mechanics with good reps let alone the really bad rep the local Holden workshop has. There has never been a good review come from there. Joy riding, taking cars home, misdiagnosing, false information, charging for work not done, the list goes on. A mate suggested oxygen sensors so ill look into that hopefully that does something otherwise thats $300 down. If no results from that ill just have to risk Holden

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought about that but if it was the immobilizer it shouldnt do anything at all when you turn the key. It always turns over everytime just the occasional times it doesnt fire up until its 4th or 5th revolution. Ill give it a try anyway. Thanks

Ive been thinking about it but im actually really scared to take my car in there. Im not very trusting leaving my car with mechanics with good reps let alone the really bad rep the local Holden workshop has. There has never been a good review come from there. Joy riding, taking cars home, misdiagnosing, false information, charging for work not done, the list goes on. A mate suggested oxygen sensors so ill look into that hopefully that does something otherwise thats $300 down. If no results from that ill just have to risk Holden

Surely there must be another Holden service centre you can get to then? Alternately you could go and speak to their service manager regarding their reputation, and make an informed decision yourself rather than relying on hearsay.

Last edited:

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Surely there must be another Holden service centre you can get to then? Alternately you could go and speak to their service manager regarding their reputation, and make an informed decision yourself rather than relying on hearsay.

Unfortunatly its not just heresay. My mate dropped his Maloo off to replace abs sensor, had to wait 3 days for parts to arrive. It came back with a near empty tank and an extra 350km on it. Turned out they were using it for parts pickups/deliveries. Another bloke dropped his VF Redline off for a service and later that night saw his own car drive past him. Evan got a photo of the car driving past and they still denied it ever left the workshop. There used to be a dedicated FB page about problems people have had with this dealership. Next closest is almost 500km away. If i do go there ill just have to make sure i take a record of odo and fuel usage ect.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't leave your car, just get them to give you the codes (if any) pay the fee, and get out of there. Is there a Motor club up there (we have the RACQ in Qld) - you could ring them and get advice.

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
This happened to me for a few months. Then one day out of the blue i went to a shop came back after 5 mins and the car wouldn't start. it just kept turning over. Had to jump start it and then replaced the battery. Haven't had any issues since then. Maybe your battery is on its way out?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Have you considered the Super Cheap Auto Diagnostic reports as an alternative to the Holden dealer?
I have not used the service so I'm no judge of the quality of service. They list one at Berrimah.

Vehicle Diagnostics - Supercheap Auto Australia