Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering rack changeover instructions needed

jdg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hi all,

Could someone with access to holdens vz shop manual please post up the pages for removing/installing the steering rack. I have the gregory/ellery manual already but wanted to confirm the process with the shop manual before proceeding. My 05 vz v6 sedan was trouble free until it hit 140k/Kms and now it seems to be either up on stands in the garage or at the mechanic every month for something else that's busted on it. Anyway steering rack is the latest, have been given rough quote of $500 for a new rack and mechanic reckons a few hrs labour plus an alignment, so $800ish all up. Thinking of a reco rack for $250ish and completing the work myself.

Any help greatly appreciated. I have searched the forum but haven't found what I'm after.

Cheers,
Jase.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I have a Sept 2004 build SV6. The steering assembly has a very small oil weep from the adjustment nut (end play/free play adjustment) underneath the steering gearbox.
I went around the steering people in the Brisbane Bayside area for repair parts - seals, gaskets O Rings etc, or a reconditioned changeover.

One reconditioner came up with the following: The early VZs had a "ring in" steering rack for some months before Holden settled on a "long term" supplier/design.
In his opinion, the VZ was rushed to market and the company took steering assemblies from wherever/whom ever they could get them. The guy said he does not carry the early VZ steering assemblies as a changeover so they repair the original assembly.
Might pay to check the part number against the VIN with Holden if you don't want delays etc. especially if you do the work yourself.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
There was an update in 06, see below;