Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Air Con Rattle (in cabin)

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hi guys,
I have finally managed to locate the very frustrating vibration in the dash of my commodore. After about 2 months of trying diagnose it (with multiple mechanic) ... turns out the main cause of rattle is the actual a/c pipe going from the engine through the firewall and into the cabin. It only occurs around 1500 - 1800 rpm with the a/c on (but is enough to drive me mental). I managed to figure it by grabbing the pipe and held it firmly and the noise went away when the car was being rev'ed.

Now that i have located the issue i wanted to see who else has had this issues and what was the fix ....

Thanks in advance.

madhouse74

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL STATESMAN
Never had the problem but an sure if you got a rubber grommet that held the pipe tighter whilst going through the firewall should cure the problem. Let us know how you go..

fnb9858

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz excutive
Hi.....I had exactly the same problem....It felt like something under the dash behind the glove box was resonating at the same rev range you mentioned. It had me stumped too....I noticed that the air con pipe goes into a alloy block at the firewall and that seemed to move around more than other vz's that I looked at. I read in your post that the rattle went away when you held the pipe firmly. I got a few cable ties and put 1 tie loosely on the rubber section of the pipe, another tie loosely on the metal bracket under the engine cover near the oil filter and another tie thru both the other ties and pulled it tight to pull the air con pipe away from the inner guard... Then a tie on the air con pipe at the alloy block and another tie on a metal pipe hook above it and a third tie thru both ties and pulled it tight... Result no more rattle.......Hope this works for you too

vzwagongirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive Wagon
any more news to this as have the same problem after engine replaced

jasper105

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Hi.....I had exactly the same problem....It felt like something under the dash behind the glove box was resonating at the same rev range you mentioned. It had me stumped too....I noticed that the air con pipe goes into a alloy block at the firewall and that seemed to move around more than other vz's that I looked at. I read in your post that the rattle went away when you held the pipe firmly. I got a few cable ties and put 1 tie loosely on the rubber section of the pipe, another tie loosely on the metal bracket under the engine cover near the oil filter and another tie thru both the other ties and pulled it tight to pull the air con pipe away from the inner guard... Then a tie on the air con pipe at the alloy block and another tie on a metal pipe hook above it and a third tie thru both ties and pulled it tight... Result no more rattle.......Hope this works for you too
Sorry for rehashing an old thread but I have the same problem as you described, where the air conditioning pipe going through the alloy block at the firewall moving around quite a bit causing a that resonating vibration at the same rev range you mentioned. I followed your cable tie fix and it works, however is there a much more permanent fix so the engine bay looks a little better than a series of cable ties? Any suggestions.