Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another 'Check Powertrain' message

Ash@DVS

Reaction score
Website
www.dvs.net.au
Members Ride
VE Wagon
I've got a 2004 VZ wagon. 175kw and Auto.
I've had some intermittent missing in the last couple of weeks, which has become almost all-the-time.
On start, I get the beeps and 'Check Powertrain message'

I've changed plugs, all six coilpacks again (and manifold gaskets, naturally), I've done a compression test and it's remarkably good.
With the ODBII reader I have I cant see any codes.

I've got it booked in tomorrow morning to the local dealer to pull the codes for me.

Are there any known, probable causes that people have come up against before?

This aside, I've had the car for 3 and a half years and it's been fantastic. It has just under 180k on it. Other than replacing a radiator and a dead coilpack (replaced all six at that point anyway) just after I got it, it's been faultless.
It's stock mechanically and just has a set of King Springs in it, with short monroe front struts and (new when fitted) FE2 rear shocks.

The current issue is a bit annoying as I'd planned to trade it in. I've bought a new car (VE) now, so will sell privately once the current issue is sorted.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
For some unknown reason, the ecus in VZ's just slowly die. I have 3 on bench from VZs that have the above issues.. they funny enough work without a hickup on bench, but something gets affected internally so it does function properly when hooked up to all the sensors.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
You can test an ECU on a bench?

Ash@DVS

Reaction score
Website
www.dvs.net.au
Members Ride
VE Wagon
Thanks TazzI.
You're very correct.
Dealer diagnosis was failed ECU.

Replacement is $1067 +gst +fitting.

Has anyone successfully fitted a used ECU themselves?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Thanks TazzI.
You're very correct.

No - but I got a second hand unit for $150 and fitted for $270 - just need the VIN with the ECU.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
You can test an ECU on a bench?
Sure can, I have multiple VZ ecus on the bench that I communicate with along with my Tech2. All done for reverse engineering purposes. I ended up making a dedicated application for LS1's and VZ V6's called "Software on ELM street" which can be picked up free over at pcmhacking.net. Id be curous to see what the actual fault is exactly that the ecu is outputting. Since the "apparently" dead units here.. seem to be fine.

Thanks TazzI.
You're very correct.

The fitting is what made me laugh, my poor mate got stung by this a few years back. Fitting was $550, is it really that hard to fit! Just plug some wires in and bolt in!

You can fit a second hand unit. This process seems to be a "mystery" even to Holden for whatever reason, or they refuse to fit a second hand unit.

To fit the unit, my understanding (and from reading some Holden documentation) is you "must" reset the second hand ECU. You then connect up the second hand unit to the car and then go to "Link BCM/PCM", and from the choices select "ECU has been changed". Next you have to enter in the IMMO code (immobilizer code) which will be a 4 digit code. This should be the code for your car. The IMMO code can be requested from the dealer with your VIN.

I recently had a friend do this, and he did the above exactly. Im still working on a way to get the IMMO code without have to request the dealer.. its stored in the BCM,PIM and ECU but havent found it yet!.

I hope that somewhat helped out!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Did you have the dealer fit it for you?

Yes - the ECU needs to be linked via Holden's software. The fitting cost $270 at Hamilton Holden in Adelaide. The car was spitting out random ABS faults and other irritating errors.

Swapped out the ECU and it all stopped happening. Fixed.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
I've got a 2004 VZ wagon. 175kw and Auto.
I've had some intermittent missing in the last couple of weeks, which has become almost all-the-time.
On start, I get the beeps and 'Check Powertrain message'

I've changed plugs, all six coilpacks again (and manifold gaskets, naturally), I've done a compression test and it's remarkably good.
With the ODBII reader I have I cant see any codes.

I've got it booked in tomorrow morning to the local dealer to pull the codes for me.

Are there any known, probable causes that people have come up against before?

This aside, I've had the car for 3 and a half years and it's been fantastic. It has just under 180k on it. Other than replacing a radiator and a dead coilpack (replaced all six at that point anyway) just after I got it, it's been faultless.
It's stock mechanically and just has a set of King Springs in it, with short monroe front struts and (new when fitted) FE2 rear shocks.

The current issue is a bit annoying as I'd planned to trade it in. I've bought a new car (VE) now, so will sell privately once the current issue is sorted.

Thanks in advance!

Mums VZ 3.6 Thru the 'Check Powertrain' and it was the oil sender , although
when she was talking to the mechanic, he was saying it's the transmission, which I said 'bullshit , take it to holden'.

Ash@DVS

Reaction score
Website
www.dvs.net.au
Members Ride
VE Wagon
Yes - the ECU needs to be linked via Holden's software. The fitting cost $270 at Hamilton Holden in Adelaide. The car was spitting out random ABS faults and other irritating errors.

Swapped out the ECU and it all stopped happening. Fixed.

Thanks heaps for the responses - really appreciate it.
It's frustrating that an ECU fault happens in the first place - wonder if the stupidest place in the world to mount the thing has anything to do with it. :)