Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ drives different from before??

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Hey guys, I've got a 2005 VZ V6 utility which recently had a fair bit of work done it in the past few months. It has some basic modifications which include a catback exhaust, hi flow cats and cold air intake. It has also been tuned by CHE. After getting it tuned it was running great, but after a while I noticed a change in the way it performed so I got it checked out by a mechanic who told me my engine mounts were broken.

I got the engine mounts replaced recently and immediately felt the car driving back to the way it was before. Just recently it's been acting up again. I'm fairly in touch with my car so the moment something feels a tad different, I'll pick it up straight away. Right now it feels as if it's not pulling as hard or rather as smooth as it used to. A delay in acceleration you could say which was not present before. I go to accelerate but it doesn't respond as it once did. It's difficult to explain but it just doesn't feel...normal. As if the engine is restrained and not running free.

It does not misfire or idle rough. It recently has had an oil/oil filter change, new spark plugs, coil packs and fuel filter. There does not seem to be any vacuum leaks present. Throttle body is clean and MAF has been cleaned. It almost feels like it did back when it had the broken engine mounts, but seeing as though I had them replaced with new ones recently, that shouldn't be the cause? I mean they should last for a long while yet. The car is always filled with premium 98. Transmission related perhaps? Fluid level seems normal though.

Does anyone know what else could be causing this problem? Any help is appreciated. Cheers.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Heat? Whats the weather been like where you are? Mine was off today it was 42C outside.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
what oil was used, heavier oil will cause more drag, noticed this going from 5-30w to 5-60w for the heat

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Temperature has been normal. Oil used was Penrite 5w-40. Says that it can be used where 5w-30 and 10w-30 oils are specified. I'm getting some unusual feedback through the accelerator pedal in terms of vibration, and my exhaust note is not as loud and clear as it used to be. I guess without taking it to a mechanic I won't be able to diagnose it properly.

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
have you checked to see if your hand brake is on ;-)

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
So after driving the car some more, it seems to be getting worse. When the auto transmission shifts sometimes it takes longer to change, as if it's hesitating. Car seems to struggle more at lower speeds, and the vibration that can be felt through the pedal while accelerating and the loss of power is very evident. Is it possible the torque converter might be the culprit?

mad mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 2005 update
did you have the trans ecu reprogramed as well you could have lost flash tune on ecu would explain why you have lost performance mase do a flash tune on engine and trans ecu think it was around $700

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could be a coil going, it may not seem like it's missing, but that would explain the hesitation, the vibration and the general lack of power.

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Pretty sure I did but how would you lose it? I had the car the entire time between when it was driving good to when it started feeling ****. Regardless, to me it seems like a physical problem not a computer related issue. I should note that it's not throwing any codes, but when I went to start the car today it displayed a message which said "safety mode, reduced performance" but it went away when I restarted the car.

Has new coilpacks and spark plugs.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
bought AC Delco plugs (platinum)from springwood holdens for $6.76 each and the gaskets for $27.50 each (they were dearer in the kit)