Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keen to do the maintenance myself

Shaun40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
Hi guys, I've had my VZ 06 wagon, V6 since 104000kms. Religiously changed oil and air filter every 5000kms. I'm now at 134xxxkms and due to do the 5000km maintenance again, although I've notice that she is starting to run a little rough "missing" especially under acceleration (not heavy acceleration, more so on the incline and lightly accelerating to keep up the speed). After reading through the other posts I thinking I'm due to give the wagon a bit more than the usual lovin?
My 1st question is, is there any merit in fuel additives to run through the fuel system to clean it?
2nd, is there any merit in taking her for a country run to blow out the cobwebs? So to speak.
Should I be looking at changing injectors, timing belt anything else that maybe causing the rough running?
Cheers in advance if advice is available

Shaun40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
Cheers mate, I'll do that today!
What's the opinion on injector cleaner additives?
Any other clarity on the injector/ timing belt replacement would be awesome. (Is there a general km changeover expectation etc.?)

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Almost empty the tank and fill it with premium fuel......I use 98 twice a year, and that will clean the injectors out.

Will be a bit hard to change the timing belt, cause there ain't none.

Plug change from memory at 90k........has it ever been done before? Be sure to use the correct plugs........not cheap, but do the job for a long time.

jdg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
At around 140k/Kms mine started missing under acceleration, realised mechanic hadn't changed the plugs at 120k service like he was meant to, did it myself with a manifold gasket change and it ran like new again no missing.

Shaun40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
Haha... Shows how much I know gossie.....guess I won't be doing a timing belt :doh:
Thanks heaps guys for all the advice, its really been taken on board, and helped give my VZ some well earnt attention!

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Haha... Shows how much I know gossie.....guess I won't be doing a timing belt :doh:
Thanks heaps guys for all the advice, its really been taken on board, and helped give my VZ some well earnt attention!

You could change the timing chain if you wanted to, but it's a bugger of a job. Nah, don't do that.......unless it's got the rattles big time of course.

Mainly just follow the service books that come with the car, and be sure to use the correct oil.

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
You could change the timing chain if you wanted to, but it's a bugger of a job. Nah, don't do that.......unless it's got the rattles big time of course.

Mainly just follow the service books that come with the car, and be sure to use the correct oil.

+1 for not doing the timing chains. Do the small things first. Tech 2 check. The. Depending from there; Oil, air and fuel filter. Plugs then coil pack (bit exey) then maybe have injectors cleaned.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
bought platinum plugs from holden (AC Delco) for $6.76 each, motorama springwood

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Before you take off the upper intake manifold and do the plugs, maybe give it a Throttle Body Clean and see if that makes a difference.

At 110k my VZ was running a bit rough and the Throttle body was filthy. I gave it a clean with a rag and a can of TB cleaner and it ran a lot smoother afterwards and used slightly less petrol as well.