Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden loss of power on highway

95Waghoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive wagon
Hey guys, I did a search but cant see anything exactly like my issue.

05 Vz alloytec 175 with 4 speed auto, 255,000k's. runs perfectly normally, with no oil leaks or issues etc.

Driving on the freeway a couple of weeks ago the gearbox felt like it slipped into overdrive, and then wont kick down gears. It feels like its lost 80% of its power even with the throttle all the way flat to the boards the speed continues to fall slowly like the brakes are on and the engine is kind of labouring. To fix it I just take my foot all the way off the gas for a split second, then back on and everything works perfectly again. Has been doing this on and off for these past couple of weeks, usually 2 or 3 times during a 40 minute freeway run at 110k/ph.

Im thinking throttle position sensor at a guess, but Im not really up on all these electrical/sensor type issues. Any advice would be great.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Is that motor fly by wire ?

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Might be a cause or a faulty/sticky TPS -Throttle postion Sensor

95Waghoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive wagon
Might be a cause or a faulty/sticky TPS -Throttle postion Sensor
I thought it might be that or failing MAF. Is the TPS the black electrical part attached to the throttle/air intake under the bonnet or is it attached to the top of the actual accelerator pedal ?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I thought it might be that or failing MAF. Is the TPS the black electrical part attached to the throttle/air intake under the bonnet or is it attached to the top of the actual accelerator pedal ?
It's located on the side of the throttle body, near the IAC......

95Waghoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive wagon
Thanks for the replies guys. Has anyone else had this issue ? It may also be limp home mode. Foot flat to the boards it continues to drop speed even on the flat. Im thinking of replacing the whole throttle body and drive by wire assembly (all one part), but would prefer someones advice if this sounds like the right move ?

Cheers

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?? Check the easy first!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Haven't experienced similar problem (thank goodness) however if you haven't had the transmission serviced regularly don't overlook that as a likely contributor. Good luck.