Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6L80 to replace 4L65 in VZ SS

red_bumblebee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8
Hi all,

I recently got a nice condition VZ SS with the 6L motor. I'm interested in changing the 4 speed 4L65 to a later 6L80 out of a VE, reason being it is a genuinely good condition example and rather than swap for a poor condition VE or leave the crap box, I'd like to slowly customise it to suit me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 6L L76 in the VZ should be more or less the same as the 6L L76 in the VE. I understand the 6L80 has its own TCM which is inbuilt, but can be made to work with an E38 ECU which the VZ should have.
I'm thinking of either getting a 2006ish model 6L80 and attempting to get it to work, or using an engine and box from a 2006 VE, along with harnesses and modules.
Tunnel mods shouldn't really be an issue, if necessary I should be able to do this myself.
Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice they can give? (don't just say don't do it, that's boring)

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Anything wrong with the 4spd?

Ive done a bit of reading about this and the threads seem to go off topic and or never are complete.

I to have a crewman but it has the l98 with the 4l65e. I was under the impression that the later vz crewmans used a later ecu that could be re calibrated to suite.
Would the plugs be the same?
I also am under the impression rhat the tailshaft needs lengthening and or modification for the 6spds

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is a complete thread on this. It’s also installed in a Crewman.
An anolog to digital module is available to allow the computers to communicate. It’s available from the US. Someone also posted a link to a similar module a week or so ago.
It all bolts in if only for a slight modification on the rear cross member . The VF gear selector was used and the set up allows for the manual shift feature as well.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The way the 4spd manages torque v the 6spd through the rev range is radically different and far more advanced.
Fuel efficiency is improved and driver enjoyment is far better.

Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss crewman l98 auto
Cheers for the info and link.
I have read that thread ( a few times) and it seems he changed motors aswell.
I thought that there is a module that can control it already in some crewmans, when i run a can bus scan on the crewman i have it seems to have two modules to play with.
What would the VE/VF have that makes it NOT need that module? , seems odd that the USA has them (module) for sale and the stock VE/VF use 6spd stock.
There would have to be an easier way.
Simple remap or ecu and loom change or somthing.
Thanks for your time.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Digital v analogue is the difference.
There is also two different valve/solenoid modules fitted to the 6spd.