Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommendations for a catch can

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Ok boys and girls i'm looking for a recommendation for a functional LS1 oil catch can. I have read a lot of reviews that say the Elite catch can works well. But what about the likes of the Autotechica cans and other brands?
Cheers

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
How are you going to run it, vented?

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
Yes, some cans have a bung in the top to run vented. I ran a closed can in conjunction with the pcv system and while it did catch oil it didn't get it all. Finished changing it to a vented system last week.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It doesn't bother me (coz mine vented as well), but
just to let you know, that vented systems are illegal.

But mine's vented through the air intake on one side of the rocker cover and a small vent filter on the other one.
I've had this system on for about 7 months and have NO sign of oil in the T/B or in the filter,
as there's no real suction to talk about on the intake side of things.
It just vents into the air intake and out through the filter.

So in reality, I could gut the innards of a PCV valve (to make it look more proper), put that on the end of the rocker cover
that connects to the air intake and it would "probably" pass.
It actually looks like, that air is drawn through the small filter on one rocker cover,
through the crank case and out through the other rocker cover and into the air intake.
But it doesn't actually suck (it just looks like it does), it vents.

I'll put up a picture soon, of the set up I have.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
It doesn't bother me (coz mine vented as well), but
just to let you know, that vented systems are illegal.

But mine's vented through the air intake on one side of the rocker cover and a small vent filter on the other one.
I've had this system on for about 7 months and have NO sign of oil in the T/B or in the filter,
as there's no real suction to talk about on the intake side of things.
It just vents into the air intake and out through the filter.

So in reality, I could gut the innards of a PCV valve (to make it look more proper), put that on the end of the rocker cover
that connects to the air intake and it would "probably" pass.
It actually looks like, that air is drawn through the small filter on one rocker cover,
through the crank case and out through the other rocker cover and into the air intake.
But it doesn't actually suck (it just looks like it does), it vents.

I'll put up a picture soon, of the set up I have.

I take it you mean illegal in Australia? So both of you guys are recommending vented units then?

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
I modified the closed can. Drilled and tapped a 3/4 bsp thread into the top and fitted a nipple to take the filter. Running 5/8 (16mm) hose from each rocker cover to the can. Works well.
[QUOTEI take it you mean illegal in Australia? So both of you guys are recommending vented units then?][/QUOTE]
Yes, closed system didn't work for me.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I take it you mean illegal in Australia? So both of you guys are recommending vented units then?
Yeah....Illegal in Australia. Don't know the legalities of a vented system in NZ.

Personally, I'd run vented,
I realise the engine is tuned to accept crank case air (vacuum) into the inlet manifold,
but a vented system eliminates that, gives you cleaner air into the cylinders and imo, gives better vacuum in the intake manifold.

But that's just me....

Last edited: