Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Cranking but won't start! (Video included)

highway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I looked around JC and a few other forums, from what I can gather, the engine is flooded. I checked the battery, the battery indicator is Green, signalling that the battery is fine. Now although there is tons of information everywhere on the internet regarding this problem, I can't seem to find a single fixated solution as most people are just guessing as to what the problem is, and they don't have a complete idea of what is going on. So I find that giving visual representations greatly helps! I took this a few minutes ago. If the engine is infact flooded should I go to a Mechanic or an Electrician to have it fixed? From the information I gathered looking online, this is a common problem with the Alloytec, as you can't just turn it on when the engine is cold drive it for 2 mins and turn it off again as it hasn't warmed up and so the engine in turn is flooded somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_747zxsGQbY&feature=youtu.be

Thanks you Ladies and Gentle sirs. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
If you want to start a flooded alloytec, press your accelerator to the floor, WOT, and start the crank sequence. I think the engine cranks with spark but the injectors are switched off to clear the flooding, and then hopefully when the excess fuel is cleared, the engine starts. I now believe that the cranking occurs as long as the WOT is maintained and the engine speed stays below 1000rpm. ( edited - Rectified the WOT parameters/injectors etc.).

Here are some links to the flooded start.

I have heard that the alloytec doesn't like to be start/stopped when cold, as the engine ECU thinks the weather is very cold and adjust itself for "cold" starts even though the weather is quite warm. Something about going from closed loop to open loop fuel(or vise versa) metering with the O2 sensors initially out of the engine management on a cold start.

A Tech2 may be the answer to your problem.

Hope this helps.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...vz-alloytec-hard-start-after-hot-hot-day.html

Last edited:

highway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If you want to start a flooded alloytec, press your accelerator to the floor, WOT, and start the crank sequence. I think the engine cranks for about 10 seconds with no spark to clear the flooding, and then applies spark at the last second or two of the sequence to get the engine to turn over.
Here are some links to the flooded start.

I have heard that the alloytec doesn't like to be start/stopped when cold, as the engine ECU thinks the weather is very cold and adjust itself for "cold" starts even though the weather is quite warm. Something about going from closed loop to open loop fuel(or vise versa) metering with the O2 sensors initially out of the engine management on a cold start.

A Tech2 may be the answer to your problem.

Hope this helps.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...vz-alloytec-hard-start-after-hot-hot-day.html

Thanks! couldn't wait around for the car so I could diagnose it bit by bit, and there were too many variables as to why it was happening. Went ahead and called a mobile mechanic. Turns out there was something wrong with the fuel filter when it was changed. Starting beautifully now! It was leaking some fuel on the ground when the car cranked, couldn't see it as it was parked on grass. Think the filter was loose or something.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Glad it was located quickly. The fuel line filter is under pressure from the pump in the fuel tank, even when the ignition is turned off. There is no return line to the fuel tank. On my alloytec, the fuel pressure bleeds to a low value about 20 minutes after the ignition is switched off.