Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low beam only working when high beam turned on???

Kurt141

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz acclaim
This is doing my head in!
Got in wife's car other day (vz acclaim). No low beam! High and Parkers work though.
Bit more investigating and found the low beams come on when I turn on the high beam, but otherwise they won't work.
Done a search on here and found several threads about low beams not working at all but nothing like what I've got.
Any ideas anyone?
I've checked all the obvious stuff, relays, fuses etc. but I'm lost! Just hoping it's not something in a bcm or something.
For now I'm going to remove high beam globes so she can drive if needed at night (she only drives in town anyway and never uses the high beam). Want to sort it out though!
Cheers

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd be willing to bet its the switch.

Get an auto-electrician to confirm it.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Low beam relay is my guess.
Your low beam wont be coming on with your highbeam, the h4 lowbeam globe has 2 filaments so when you flick to highbeam the second filament lights up.
Try swapping your high and low relays around.

Kurt141

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz acclaim
Aren't the high and low beam relays different types (ie. not interchangeable)? I swapped the high beam relay with fan relay and low beam with horn and no change.
Judging by my owners manual the high beam is the larger square grey coloured type relay and the low beam is the smaller rectangle black relay? Am I right?
If what your saying about the h4 globe having 2 low beam filaments, that makes some sense as to why when you flick the stalk to high beam the low lights up too. Thought it was strange considering the combo switch and stalk are no where near each other!

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
This is doing my head in!
Got in wife's car other day (vz acclaim). No low beam! High and Parkers work though.
Bit more investigating and found the low beams come on when I turn on the high beam, but otherwise they won't work.
Done a search on here and found several threads about low beams not working at all but nothing like what I've got.
Any ideas anyone?
I've checked all the obvious stuff, relays, fuses etc. but I'm lost! Just hoping it's not something in a bcm or something.
For now I'm going to remove high beam globes so she can drive if needed at night (she only drives in town anyway and never uses the high beam). Want to sort it out though!
Cheers

Certainly could be relays as suggested, bear in mind also that failed filaments in these bulbs don't always look broken to the naked eye. Try new bulbs if swapping the relays doesn't work.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Have a look on top of your lights, with the bonnet open, it should have what globes it take ie Low Beam H? High beam H?

If it's an H4 , they do have two filaments High/Low , and Low beam could be shot, two at once, hmmm , more likely a relay.

It's the first bit of writing on top.
$_57.JPG

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you say youve checked all the obvious stuff, but i dont see "checked the globes themselves"?

Kurt141

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz acclaim
Considering I have low beam when on high beam, I didn't really think they could be blown? However as mentioned if they are H4 globes and have dual filaments it's worth a look. However, as mentioned, both blown at once....... Unlikely.
I'll take a look later today.
Cheers

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
h4 is a high beam and low beam, it might look like low beam is on, but its most likely the high beam filament.

when was the last time you drove it at night?

its amazing how many people drive with just one low beam light without realising, then when the second one goes they just assume both have gone at the same time