Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing sump, help for alloytec

raddit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnv6
Hi all
I'm taking the sump off the vz, I've cracked the seal on the sump itself but feels like it still has a bolt in it.

Does any one know whether there is another one behind the balancer? Help is appreciated

JarBro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
There was nothing I saw when i removed my balancer.

Should be 2 long bolts retaining the sump to the rear main oil seal housing and the rest are along the sides.
13 bolts all up according to haynes.

raddit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnv6
yeah, i was working by the haynes manual as well, have taken out 13+ a couple i wasnt sure about but feels like its stuck at the front at or abouts the harmonic balancer. Stupid sludged up motors

JarBro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ha, nothing is ever easy. I know the 3 bolts that run behind the pulley are purely for the timing cover as I have just replaced the seal for it. A lot of people said I would have to jack the engine up and remove some of the sump bolts to take off timing cover but it was not required. My only thought was that process was needed for earlier models.

Good luck :)

raddit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnv6
Got me knackered. Definitely stopping from something at the front of engine near balancer but I can't see anything there

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Google a pic of the Alloytec sump, it might give you some ideas.
By the look of it there are 13 bolts and a few dowels, so it has to come off perfectly straight for the first inch or so until it clears the dowels.

Is the back end of sump free to move ?

raddit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnv6
Yeah I have the back half loose its dropped half an inch but springs up. Feels like a bolt right in the centre at the front. Possibly to the drivers side.

mack2210

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Executive , 1998 VT Exec ( Written Off)
To remove the sump you, unfortunately, have to remove the serpentine belt and the harmonic balancer. There is one bolt that the balancer half covers dead centre of the sump. I had to do this the other day and found it out the hard way.