Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ute removing tie downs HELP!!

xXGILLY3Xx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore ute
g'day, i'm new to the forum and hope i'm posting this in the correct place.

as we all the the standard tie down points in a vz ute are weak and useless, i installed some into the floor and they are great but i would like to replace the top ones. i thought that if i could get to old ones off i would drill a couple of holes in a stronger piece of metal and replace them with the stronger points.

but with the risk of sounding stupid, how do i get them off? I undone the big bolt (T40) but they still would not budge. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6840.jpg
    IMG_6840.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 423

nzbernie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais
Hi i have just done some work on my 06 Ute that required the removal of the top bars, the top tie downs are part of the tray panel and looked to be spot welded on from memory, the top bars are separate to the tray panel

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Don't sound stupid to me, I tried the same with the same idea, and then thought better about it.
Maybe they are "weak" so that too much tension can't be put on them, such as using ratchet straps which can exert a lot of pull, and then deform the sides of the tray.
I know that Falcon utes have special lock-in points which can take quite a bit of tension, maybe Holden are more cautious.

xXGILLY3Xx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore ute
thanks for the replys do the top rails just come off with the removal of the 3 bolts or do i need to remove all the little ones aswell?

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Looks like you'll have to grind them off or just leave them and put in a rail on the side or on the tray with sliding tie down points.