Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spray can Silver Colour not quite right or is it me?

Drewzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 07
Hi Guys,
So the car I bought had all four sides scraped but the other day I backed out in a hurry and scraped the wheel arch and rear pumper.

I sanded it back but didn't bother to fill the scratches.
I purchased the pressure pack from super cheap after matching the colour code to the can on the shelf.

I cleaned the surface area and sprayed evenly as best i could.
This was my first experience with metallic paint and its ****.

Anyway, I let it dry for sometime, sanded it with 2000grt to even flat and cut polished to shine.
It has a great luster but something is wrong... it seems darker?

Its noticeable only off light reflective angles but its **** annoying to me cos it looks like a big repair job when it wasn't.

Any advice, i will try to post pictures soon.

Drewzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 07
DSC00706 (Small).JPG

This effect is only visible because of the light angle? other angles it looks fine.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
spray cans never match the colour of your car .

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
No two colours are the same. There are so many different variables which can change the way the colour turns out.

Humidity, temperature, the paint mix, brand and type, the technique etc used by the painter all play a pretty big role. Of course, there are heaps of others that I haven't mentioned though.

To have the colours matched properly, a panel needs to be taken to the paint shop and examined in different lights to mix paint to be as close as possible. Paint matched to a code will never be exactly the same, but with good blending you'd almost be able to get away without matching with some cars

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
100%

I got super cheap to mix up some metalic blue to fix some scratches on my sons pulsar. First mix was off so he remixed it and it blended in to the panel and cant tell its been sprayed. Proper prep is key and with metalic you have to fine feather off to blend in..Did u clear it? Off the shelf can will never match 100%

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
ahahahahahhah im sorry, i LOL so hard when people talk about stuff like "feathering" with a spray can.... there are dudes that even put the cans in hot water to warm them up before srpaying... its pretty funny.

well what the #### do you call it then Piccaso! Give some advise to the guy instead of a bull **** smart arse reply..

Last edited by a moderator:

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
i think you did a great job with a can. i would be happy with that.

Ahahahah, now thats funny..

Well that says it all doesnt it....wouldnt go to u for a paint job if youd be happy with that....You can see why the ops pissed off with it and i agree with him..

Last edited by a moderator: