Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 stalled SVS

Wildcat1559

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
Hey Guys

I drive the manual SV6, went to reverse into a carpark, engine stalled initially thought it was me taking my foot off the clutch but then SVS warning came up couldnt crank engine to restart. electrics were all still on headlights etc. turned everything off removed key got out of the car closed door had a look around the car (like doing that was going to fix the problem!) jumped back in, car started fine, engine check was OK! no SVS warning continued to back car into carpark.

any advice as to what happened would be greatly appreciated guys. havent driven her since parking her up yesterday. should I not muck around and book her into the workshop! or was it just some random bug, havent owned the car for long so am a bit iffy about driving it around after that wee debacle. dont want to be caught out stalled in the middle of traffic aye.

Wildcat1559

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
jumped in her again today went to start her up fine did my business came home parked her up jumped back in her again to run errands stalled immediatly after putting it into gear. svs message came up again. removed key opened door got back in started again no svs message this time not stall either, feel im gonna have to bite the bullet on this one and book her in to get diagnosed also noticed that the remote sometimes doesnt unlock/lock the car tried both remotes same issue. I dont know if that may have something to do with it. btw the vehicle has just been serviced. so for the SVS to be showing doesnt make sense.

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
theres quite a few threads on the SVS error if you do a search, some pretty simple fixes too.
for me in my old vz v6 it came on every time I slowed down at the lights, but never stalled like yours. Solution was to replace oil pressure switch, which cost about $30 & 5 mins.
Might be an easy fix for you too.

Wildcat1559

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
so ive just taken it into the local mechanic who hooked it up to the scanner. code was imobiliser issue? he said that they are going to try and get the svs message back again to verify that it is the immobiliser. I didnt know the immobiliser can cause an engine stall? he said that its either the immobiliser or possibly the alternator is faulty?? could this be why the remotes sometimes dont lock unlock the car?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Alternator only charges the battery, flat batteries on the remotes, but sometimes the remotes have a fit and need re-aligning with the car (sons fob went dead but was new from holdens) they opened the car with the spare got in put the new one in and pressed the buttons turned on and off etc been right ever since, his was also on occasions- would start the car and after 2 seconds of running it would stall, he would turn off restart and all good, but since holdens "re-aligned" the key so to speak hasn't done it since about 2 months now, the key forms part of the ignition and immob circuit- the little knob on the key with the metal ring on the ignition log, give them a clean as well

Last edited:

Wildcat1559

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
awesome mate will try giving the keys and metal ring a good clean. the mechanic couldnt get the car to stall yesterday so he couldnt verify the fault code. told me to bring it back in when it plays up again and theyll hook it up to the scanner. im pretty sure the batteries in both fobs are well charged. havent had her stall on me since so fingers crossed. cheers!

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
the batteries in the fobs are non-replaceable, (unless you are really good with a soldering iron and get the right ones from jaycar) they are longlife, they don't recharge off the system etc, somewhere on here it tells you when you get a new key cut/fob etc from a supplier to follow a set of instructions and it will sync to the car etc