Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

priority keys - vz calais

adam_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
Hey guys, I think the owners manual actually calls them personal identity keys or something like that.

Ok first question, do all vz calais have this as standard, or was it an option?
The manual says if fitted it has two levels, basically first level remembers radio and aircon etc, and the second higher level also remembers seat position and a couple other things depending on which key is used to unlock the car. If the Calais has it fitted does it just get the lower memory options or should it have the higher spec options?

I bought a vz Calais a few weeks ago now, nice cream leather interior, full electric driver and passenger seat, we've worked out how to set the memory positions using the buttons on the seat which is fine and all but a pain that you got to keep holding the button until it gets to the position, and my wife being tiny and having it pretty far forward it would almost be quicker having a basic manual seat to slide it forwards and back.

We have two working keys and two old non working key fobs without the key blade in them (they were in the glove box) and switching between the two working keys don't change anything, I've only ever used one and my wife uses the other so it seems like it doesn't have any priority key system at all.
Now reading through the manual some more it states there are only two memory slots when keys get programmed, first key gets slot 1, second key gets slot 2 and when a third key gets programmed the first two keys go into the same memory slot and the third key gets the second slot. Naturally I'd assume the two working keys were the last two programmed and being in different memory slots but there's always a chance that's not the case and they are in the same memory slot so the car thinks it's the same key being used so it doesn't change any radio, air con or seat positions.
What are my options on checking any of this, can it be as simple as reprogramming one of the working keys so I definitely know it has a different memory slot, our would it not change anything because it's already programmed? Were priority keys even stock for the vz calais or just an option?

Cheers
Adam

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Priority key feature is standard on VZ Calais and I've read the same section in the manual. I am the only one that drives mine, so I can't say how many things the 2nd and 3rd key change (also have 3).

adam_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
Thanks A9L, if you wouldn't mind sometime can you try playing around with the other keys to see if you can get yours working properly and if it actually does remember seat position, that's the main thing we want it for but I'm not sure if that part only comes in the statesman/caprice variants.

DRAGONKZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
L98 VS Caprice Wagon + LS1 VZ Calais
From memory the key changes the side mirror positions, drivers seat position, radio stations, and air-con settings.

I can confirm that pressing the unlock button on the remote changes the above to the setting for that key. (ie, press on remote 1, seat moves to that spot, press on remote 2, seat moves again and so on).

adam_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
Ok cheers for that mate, I might get one of my keys programmed again to see if that sorts it. Otherwise not sure where to look after that. Just to confirm, I don't need to set the memories for the individual keys somehow do I, it should just go to the last positions and setting that was used for that key correct?

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Yes I believe so. My ex was a lot smaller than me and I used to hate grabbing her key because the seat wouldn't move and I would have to call the firies to unwedge me from between the seat and steering wheel ;)

Anyway, I will muck around with my spare and see what I can see for ya.

adam_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
hey A9L did you end up having a muck around and seeing what changed with your spare key?

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
I did, but the only thing that changed was the height of the aerial :/ Seems like both are set up for me as nothing else changed (one of the benefits of being divorced). Sorry mate..