Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec Engine Ticking (Lifter Noise?)

Christinkler13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
Hey all,

I know this has been asked in multiple threads however it seems everyone's engine sounds different and the problems vary.

The car has done 200,000km and I have noticed there seems to be a continuous ticking/tapping noise that makes the engine much louder then usual,

I dropped the oil and used a flushing compound then refilled it with Penrite 5w-40 Full synth. The noise quitening down a little before coming back again loud as usual.

I have recorded a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GFlmU-uCRE&feature=youtu.be

Also in the video you might be able to hear what sounds like air escaping on the right side of the throttle body near the power steering tank. I have checked all the vacumn lines but it sounds like it is coming from just above the belt. Might have to have a better look in the coming days when i have time.

Cheers

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
my old vz made the same hissing sound you've noticed from just above the belt, seemingly under the power steering fluid res, it got my attention but couldn't find any problems so just assumed it was normal, but i did not have the same ticking noise. it had 270,000kms on it to compare.

Last edited:

Christinkler13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
Hmm interesting. It hasn't always had that hissing noise but I still can't pinpoint where it's coming from.

Also had another question about the fly by wire throttle bodies. I cleaned my throttle body a few months ago and pushed open the butterfly with my fingers to clean all in and around. I have now read that's not at all a good thing to do because of the electronic components inside?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Sounds terrible for such a modern vehicle with low kilometers, just wondering what kind of maintenace program do you have.
We use Nulon 15W40, Nulon worn engine conditioner and the Nulon lifter quietner which help but going by the look of the engine how often is the vehicle maintained.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Also had another question about the fly by wire throttle bodies. I cleaned my throttle body a few months ago and pushed open the butterfly with my fingers to clean all in and around. I have now read that's not at all a good thing to do because of the electronic components inside?

I clean my throttle body at least yearly.
I clean it in situ using a throttle body cleaner, a lint free rag, but don't use an excessive amount.

Ensure the ignition is off and disconnect the power cable connector to the throttle body.

I've had no issues with relearning etc. If it did it was fairly transparent to me. Never saw any dash alarms come up.
The butterfly plate will be opened about 1 degree from fully closed, that is normal.

Christinkler13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
The video makes the engine noise much louder then it actually is. I have also noticed the water pump pulley has +5mm play which I assume is not meant to be there. The 4 bolts are tight. Would this be a possible cause of part of the noise.

As for the care of the care I have had the car for a little over a year car has been serviced every 10k using only Penrite full synth. The books indicate the previous service history was quite good however it's unknown how the car was treated by the previous owner.

I appreciate all the replies the car is going to go into holden to confirm what is making the noise. Will be very happy if I don't have to replace the timing chain.

As for the throttle body I took those precautions and my butterfly sits like you said a couple degrees open and seems to work perfectly fine!

CrewyloverVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
crewman
My crewman is making this noise and I am wondering what it could be. Did you find out what it was.. I'm thinking I have to take it to holden :(