Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth Upgrading Swaybars in VZ SS?

lowndes8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Looking at upgrading the sway bar or sway bars on my VZ SS. Car is lowered but want some more handling out of it so looking at doing sway bars as the castor bushes ave already been done

Dont have the budget to do both front and rear sway bars so asking the question will it make much of a difference just doing the rear sway bar?

Cheers

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
I'd do front and rear at the same time, especially if you are pushing it hard on corners. Don't want the back end stepping out suddenly :/

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
do the front if thats all you can afford

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Ive got 30mm adjustable set in middle on front and 18mm fixed on rear and love how the car sits extra flat compared with my old bars 28/14mm now on my sons lowered VY.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
actually I think its the opposite way around, a stiff rear will be more tail happy.

That is what A9L said.
and you are correct, but while a tail happy car can be fun they can also be extremely dangerous at the same time compared to a understeering car.
For street use a neutral car is the safest as its handling is predictable in nearly all conditions.
Manufacturers usually dial in understeer as the scrubbing front tyres has a positive affect on helping to slow down the car in the event of a slide.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Thanks SW, yes that is what I said / meant. Might need some communication lessons if I'm not making my posts comprehensive enough :/

The thing with upgrading your tyres and suspension though, is you are going a lot faster if you do end up losing it on a corner ;)

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Not to mention that you will also need to spend more than $120 a corner on tyres to make your new sway bars work.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
I was also told by Quadrant Suspension when I got their Bilstein / H&R kit that when using good quality shocks / springs, sway bars are not recommended, due to 'overdoing' the handling and making it less predictable. Also +1 for spending the money on decent tyres.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I had done all the bushes, shocks, springs, swaybars to my ute and i always thought the handling wasn't nothing to get excited over on the street..... Until i put a set of Semi Slicks on and went for a drive. It was a different car.