Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Larger Adventra Tyres

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
I have seen a couple of older threads about tyres for Adventra's but I'd appreciate any fresh comments regarding putting on 235/60/17 tyres. Currently I have 235/55/17's (these are the tyres on the car when I bought it), standard is 225/55/17.

cheers...

Last edited:

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
Has anyone had experience running that size tyre on their Adventra? Is the difference in diameter noticeable?

Killswitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL HSV Grange
You might have issues on the front with the tyre rubbing on the strut. Rears should be ok, but being AWD it might not be a good idea to run different sized tyres.

I will check the tyre size on my dads tonight.

Best bet would be to get out the measuring tape and measure the gaps between current tyre and strut. Thats really the only issue I can see with it.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
I have a long term plan to fit larger tyres.
I did a spreadsheet to evaluate the differences.

Adventra Tyres Photo by routier1642 | Photobucket

There will be an issue with the speedometer reading being inaccurate. (under-reporting the speed)
This could be adjusted by Holden, but they probably wouldn't co-operate if the tyre size change isn't ADR approved.

235/60/R17 is the Ford Territory tyre size, which is what I am considering.
I'm waiting for the current tyres to wear out a bit more; I can't afford to do this on a whim.

Those tyres will make 100 km/h read as 95 km/h.
(You could always use GPS speed on a phone or tablet like I do)

You'll gain just over 17mm of radius, so measure those clearances.

The other concern is what the tyre might bump into under extreme conditions, like when you hit a big bump while moving with the wheels on full lock.

I've raised my Adventra using Kings Springs and by hacking the Auto-Levelling Suspension so it raises the rear, and thus, also the front a bit more.
Not sure how much clearance I have now, but it's a lot, more than 40mm above standard.
(The vehicle does roll a little now; it never used to at all.)
I'm counting on this additional clearance to deal with the potential impingement problem.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Reply duplicated...

see below post

Last edited:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If after you have raised the suspension the vehicle is rolling, it may be inherently unsafe/unstable and could result in a catastrophic outcome at the least expected time for you and any nearby road user or pedestrian. Consult an Engineer for certification if in doubt. I would suggest that you re-consider using the vehicle for on-road use whilst in its present configuration. Know what I mean.:unsure:

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
There will be an issue with the speedometer reading being inaccurate. (under-reporting the speed)
This could be adjusted by Holden, but they probably wouldn't co-operate if the tyre size change isn't ADR approved.

Those tyres will make 100 km/h read as 95 km/h.
(You could always use GPS speed on a phone or tablet like I do)

QUOTE]

I've seen an option to adjust the speedo via the dash menu (2005 VZ CX6) - I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know if it changes both the speedo needle and the digital speed display or just the digital speed display.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

235/60/R17 is the Ford Territory tyre size, which is what I am considering.
I'm waiting for the current tyres to wear out a bit more; I can't afford to do this on a whim.

You will need to check what the load rating is for your car.....Then you have to be cautious as 235/60X17 have different load ratings....reason being....when the Territory was released, it came as a RWD version and a AWD version....The AWD version had a larger load rating on the tyres....Not all tyre manufacturers catered for this.....

My advise.....stick with the 225/55X17.....they are plenty available by different manufacturers, so the price isn't going to be through the roof and you won't have any other issues with the cars systems

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
You will need to check what the load rating is for your car.....Then you have to be cautious as 235/60X17 have different load ratings....reason being....when the Territory was released, it came as a RWD version and a AWD version....The AWD version had a larger load rating on the tyres....Not all tyre manufacturers catered for this.....

My advise.....stick with the 225/55X17.....they are plenty available by different manufacturers, so the price isn't going to be through the roof and you won't have any other issues with the cars systems

Hi, Is your advice based on experience with larger tyres on Adventra's?

Yes, 235/55/17's are an expensive, not widely stocked tyre - not sure why the previous owner put them on (they were almost brand new when I bought the car a couple of years ago), but 235/60/17's are (now) common as both highway and SUV tyres and thus no roofs are harmed during the setting of prices. Interestingly, the only manufacturer I found so far (approx. 10 brands) that doesn't meet or exceed the speed rating is Coopers, all meet or exceed load rating though.

I'm not kidding myself by thinking I'm turning the car into a raging off-road beast, but as an ALL-ROAD and sometimes a 'barely just a track' vehicle my Adventra gets a bit of work. Further more, when loaded up with camping gear every little bit extra counts.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
I'd go the 225/60 or the 225/65 if you want the same dia as the 235/60 , the narrower width will interfere less,
plus you could run chains on the front with the 225/60-17

the 225/60-17 is an inch above standard. I've ran 245/50-18's ,
which are one inch bigger the standard on mine with no effect on handling, but did rub on full lock on that square bit on the inner guard.

If my brakes were smaller or had an Adventra or Cross6/8 I'd go down this path ,
but I'm limited to aggressive snow tyres in 245/45-18 or 245/50-18
I run these Dunlop Winter Sports M3
opony-255-40r19-dunlop-sp-winter-sport-m3-8mm-3106804966.jpg

the 225/65-17 is almost 2inches , which is almost the same as 235/60-17 .

True grip is what you want.
yokohama make the Geolandar A/T-S 225/60-17 99H and 225/65-17 102H and a true offroad tyre.
1305246552-GEO_ATS_3Qtr_Gallery_710x399.png