Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear window switch smoking

Wildcat1559

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Manual
Hey guys

I was just about to put the power windows up and noticed that there was a small amount of what looked like smoke emanating from the passenger side rear window switch. could this be some kind of dangerous electrical issue? I used the switch on the door to put the window up not the switch on the centre stack. i dont want the door to catch on fire so a little hesitant to use it any advice on what to do would be really appreciated
Thanks

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
There is a 20A Circuit Breaker (Haynes Manual)/fuse Power Window (Owners Manual) that you can remove in the short term under the steering wheel.

Another fuse 15A (Haynes Manual) which feeds the power door locks and part of the power windows circuit also.

The"smoke" could also be coming from the glass lift motor rather than the switch and ventilating via the switch.

If the switch is the problem does it smell burnt? Did it get hot to touch whilst operating it?
It can be flicked out of the trim with a small screwdriver with some care. Would be prudent to remove the appropriate fuses before doing this.

Last edited: