Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Autoscanner

casben79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hi Guys,

I am preparing to take my 06 VZ commodore on a 3000KM (Yes, 3000KM, 3099 to be precise) drive through the Australian outback in the middle of summer with a trailer and will be having a transmission cooler fitted through the week.

I got a quote for ~$700 to install a temp guage on the transmission then thought I might be able to get a diagnostic scanner which reads the data from the computer instead of dropping a large amount of money on a simple guage.

I found this Actron OBD2 Autoscanner - Supercheap Auto Australia which has the transmission temp in the live readout (as well as a multitude of other useful readouts) but it says vehicle dependent.

Does anyone know if the transmission temp would come up on the readout or if there is any way other than dropping a fortune to an auto-electrician?

Cheers
Ben

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Engine and transmission monitoring is always handy.

These are an eBay selection.
Each type has its advantages for convenience and ease of installation.

There are a number of DTCs for the transmission but I don't know which sensor/DTC would give a variable signal output that an OBD scanner would translate into a real time analogue value of temperature.

The after markets could be easy to fit and remove to another vehicle down the track.

transmission temperatute gauge | eBay

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Your VZ is full OBD2 compliant. This means the scan tool you're talking about will have some communication capacity. Meaning, you'll pull codes and be able to view some live data. But It may not necessarily provide full live data capacity. EG, actually show you transmission temp. This sort of specifics is written into the software, by the manufacturer, for their own dedicated scan tool. But is then often copied, to some degree, by after market scanner providers. But they don't always copy (sometimes they're not granted the permission to do so) all the software. They stick to the basics, fault codes, limited live data etc. Usually, only dedicated scan tools will have full software capacity/compatibility. If you buy this scan, don't damage the packaging, Supercheap is usually good for refunds. Alternatively, buy yourself a half decent mercury type temp gauge, drill a hole in your transmissions sump pan, and there's your temp gauge. There will be some soldering involved but easy to do, and accurate readout. Lastly, the Actron scanner you indicate, is a base model. The Actron 9185 is the superior alternative
Hi Guys,

I am preparing to take my 06 VZ commodore on a 3000KM (Yes, 3000KM, 3099 to be precise) drive through the Australian outback in the middle of summer with a trailer and will be having a transmission cooler fitted through the week.

I got a quote for ~$700 to install a temp guage on the transmission then thought I might be able to get a diagnostic scanner which reads the data from the computer instead of dropping a large amount of money on a simple guage.

I found this Actron OBD2 Autoscanner - Supercheap Auto Australia which has the transmission temp in the live readout (as well as a multitude of other useful readouts) but it says vehicle dependent.

Does anyone know if the transmission temp would come up on the readout or if there is any way other than dropping a fortune to an auto-electrician?

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Hi Guys,

Cheers
Ben

I can confirm that the LS1 ECU/BCM Does NOT monitor transmission temperatures via ODB-II, the V6 may be different as it is a different model ECU. You can pick up a ELM-327 Bluetooth adapter for less than $30 on ebay, not a bad thing to have for the trip anyway as it can check codes in plain text and reset them.