Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil for service

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I'm servicing my VZ soon, what oil do you like best and where do you get it? I usually get fully synthetic, last time the place i went only had 5-40w and the guy said it'd be okay, but in the VZ manual doesn't it recommend 10-30w? cheers!

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
magnatec 10w-40. one of the cheaper ones but good oil. u dont need fully synthetic in a stock v6 vz. buy @ supercheap when on sale for $25/28 a bottle

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
I use semi synthetic 10W-30 (LS1 tho).

Any of the decent brands (Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil etc) are good. Supercheap have good prices but have picked up some amazing deals at Big W.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
magnatec 10w-40. one of the cheaper ones but good oil. u dont need fully synthetic in a stock v6 vz. buy @ supercheap when on sale for $25/28 a bottle

Im sorry but its far from good oil. Why would you use mineral Magnatec 10w-40 in this day and age... Unless you really dont care about your engine and especially for the alloytec i would definitely buy synthetic.

Mind you the green (yep green) coloured Magnatec Professional is darn good oil (synthetic) but Castrol dont sell it retail, only to workshops.

SS60NV

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
5w30 or 5w40 OR 10w30 or 10w40 it depends on the car some cars are fine with 10w30 test and learn. My mothers Honda hates 10w30-40 but as soon as I put 5w30 the engine runs better.

Penrite is okay and it comes in 6L bottle for under $50 full synthetic.

I use any good oil really but I wont buy another nulon product ever!!! I used nulon lsd oil and the diff broke..... I used nulon gearbox oil and the gearbox blewup... I used nulon engine oil and the engine blew up.... I used nulon coolant and the car overheated NULON can go bl0w a goat :)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Pennrite HPR 5 for the Alloytec it's 5w 40 fully synthetic , it's good oil .

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Im sorry but its far from good oil. Why would you use mineral Magnatec 10w-40 in this day and age... Unless you really dont care about your engine and especially for the alloytec i would definitely buy synthetic.

Mind you the green (yep green) coloured Magnatec Professional is darn good oil (synthetic) but Castrol dont sell it retail, only to workshops.

mate stfu if you dont know what you're talking about. magnatec is fine. as long as its changed regularly with filter as with any oil these days. No one wants bickering like that in forums. the OP just asked a question and I answered. Why be so naive? magnatec is semi synthetic btw.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
5w30 or 5w40 OR 10w30 or 10w40 it depends on the car some cars are fine with 10w30 test and learn. My mothers Honda hates 10w30-40 but as soon as I put 5w30 the engine runs better.

Penrite is okay and it comes in 6L bottle for under $50 full synthetic.

I use any good oil really but I wont buy another nulon product ever!!! I used nulon lsd oil and the diff broke..... I used nulon gearbox oil and the gearbox blewup... I used nulon engine oil and the engine blew up.... I used nulon coolant and the car overheated NULON can go bl0w a goat :)

i think that's far from coincidental. maybe you didn't change the fluids correctly. no need to bag on a brand. i know many people that have used nulon motor oil for a long time and their engines have never blown up.

OP any oil is good as long as its changed regularly with filter. unless you have a performance vehicle their is no need to give oil a second thought. just put in the grade which the manufacturer recommends (10w30) in your case

SS60NV

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
i think that's far from coincidental. maybe you didn't change the fluids correctly. no need to bag on a brand. i know many people that have used nulon motor oil for a long time and their engines have never blown up.

That's my own personal experience with the product okay!!! I hate it. I wont use it if it was for free, Its like I'm cursed with NULON. Or it could be noobs over the counter giving me the wrong fluid type IDK,

Lets say you used a SHELL product every time for any lube changes and something always went bad within the first 50km what would you do?? Stay clear from it. That's what I have been doing and its going well since then I only use Penrite or Castrol.

BUT do a Google search on NULON oil problems and see for your self... I'm not the only one complaining.

DONT GET CUT BECAUSE I HATE NULON MAN