Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SVZ Wagon Tyres Potenza Adrenaline RE001 235/45/17 OR what do you prefer?

micofmag7

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Commodore Impulse Blue SVZ Wagz
Hi Team, time to replace my rubber and I do like the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE001 235/45R17 but am keen to hear what tyres you have used that you really like. Especially if more 'cost effective'..

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
2004 SV6 Auto sedan. Original suspension front and rear, standard rims. (Nolathane radius rod front bush fitted recently)

I have Bridgestone 235/45/R17 RE002 Potenza Adrenalin. On my third set now. Get about 42,000 to 45,000Km per set. They handle well. Get a little bit noisy when they get worn past half way to the wear depth indicators, and noisy when they are due for replacement. Spoke to a few vz/ve owners, and there are some really good performance tyres out there, but I didn't want the tyre noise that seemed to go with some of them. The tyres are OK in the wet and dry. Wet performance naturally drops off when close to replacement time. There may be better rubber around, but the saying - better the devil you know than..............
Also the price was about $187 per tyre a year or so back, so it made them competitive. The second set was about $225 per tyre from memory.

Last edited:

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
I'm on Michelin pilot sport 3 and I'm real happy with them.they have extraordinary grip in wet as well, quiet and a nice ride. I will get them again without hesitation

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
I was going to give the PS3 ago on mine next time around - I've tried 2 different models of Hankook's "Ultra High Performance" Ventus S1 noble2 tyres, and it wants to break loose under fast, tight cornering. Not impressed when it feels like I'm driving on $110 el cheapo tyres like that.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
High performance tyres for an SVZ !! You do realise that it is not exactly a 'high performance' vehicle - don't you ? I have recently had Bridgestone Turanza T001 fitted. I am happy with their performance at urban driving, highway driving and both wet and dry driving at all speeds. Their performance capability meets with my (realistic) expectations.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
nothing wrong with wanting to put decent rubber on, even on a V6.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Got bridgestone MY02 tyres on my tonner. Only got 2500k's on. Handle well in the dry and wet. No complaints so far.
They were $180 for 235/40-18. Saw 235/45-17 MY02's for about $150 a few weeks back.....they may have been on special

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Tyre discussions tend to bring various grey areas to light.

I have attached a link to a tyre company's speed and load rating page.

What are Load & Speed Ratings?

The interesting point on the site's page is that the minimum legal speed rating for a tyre is "S" 180kmph.

A higher speed rated tyre eg "W" 270kmph rated when repaired with a tubeless plug will now not meet the original speed rating.

In my set of potenza 001s, (original set) I had two plug type repairs made. I am now curious -

Does the repaired tyre meet the minimum "S" 180kmph legal requirement?