Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buttons for steering volume control - where to find them?

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hello. I just got a VZ Calais and the volume up button plastic is broken. The control still works. It's only the plastic that's broken. Any ideas on where to find replacement for these? and also guides for DIY?

Thanks a lot

Growley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I just bought replacement controls for my VZ for $150 from Holden yesterday & includes 2 x 3 button controls (1 for each side). They don't offer individual buttons or even 1 side only, it's all or nothing. I thought about buying second hand ones for $50 on Epay but if I'm going to the trouble of replacing them I don't want to have to do it again in 6 months when the used items fail also. $150 is expensive but if you use them as much as I do it's worth it I think.

Here's a video that shows how to do it.

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
I just bought replacement controls for my VZ for $150 from Holden yesterday & includes 2 x 3 button controls (1 for each side). They don't offer individual buttons or even 1 side only, it's all or nothing. I thought about buying second hand ones for $50 on Epay but if I'm going to the trouble of replacing them I don't want to have to do it again in 6 months when the used items fail also. $150 is expensive but if you use them as much as I do it's worth it I think.

Here's a video that shows how to do it.

just a question on this DIY. The video mentioned using a right angle screwdriver and this part is very unclear to me.

This is the transcription of that part of the video:

"Use a right angel screwdriver to pull the steering wheel out and pushing the 4 holes holding the air bags in place".

I just don't understand this part. Thanks! :)

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I repaired mine, by removing the steering column cover to get to the 4 push clips that hold horn/airbag on then used some upholstery vinyl or anything that is strong but flexible(thin-medium canvas), cut it into stips about 1/4" wide and about 3/4" long and without removing the button control assembly, was able to by using a pair of tweezers and a thin probe, apply a dab of super glue to one edge of the broken hinge and hold strip into place until dry, then do the same for other end, basically now using the flexible strip as the hinge, been working great for nearly 2 years.