Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud scraping sound under extreme braking

dcrou7

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz crewman
Hi guys and girls, I have a 2005 vz 'S' crewman v6 and I am experiencing a loud scraping noise under extremely hard braking for example the other night the car in front of me came to a dead stop in an 80 zone and I almost put my foot through the floor to stop in time and as I brake I hear a loud scraping noise coming from the front to me it sounds like the bumper is scraping on the road? Has anyone else experienced this? My car is not lowered. however I'm unsure if this is what it is because when I got home I inspected inder the front bumper and there was no new scratches or marks. Normal braking and the usual hard braking it is fine it's just in emergence stop situations where I have to Fred flinstone my foot through the floor, it has only happened a few times as I don't encounter these situations everyday. I'll also add I have recently installed new pads and rotors but I doubt it's an issue as I have experienced this ever since I got the car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Stone caught between the dust guard? or plastic wheel arch come loose

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
I'd go with abs activation, had to emergency brake a while back(cut off by a boof head at traffic lights) it felt exactly like grinding on the brakes and a small pulse in the pedal

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
All abs does is alternate between locking and unlocking the brakes, when you jump on them. It allows u to steer away from something instead of skidding into it. If there is a scraping sound you have something wrong or the pads are low.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
First time my ex-wife encountered ABS she described it as a scraping noise and pedal vibration, thinking there was something wrong with the car. There wasn't, she'd just never experienced it before and that's what it sounded like to her, we don't all hear things exactly the same and it's anywhere up to 15hz pulsation.

Another train of thought is tyres. My BFG's are superb but the chunky treads makes a vibrating/scraping noise under hard braking, outside and inside of ABS modulation.

OP needs to tell us what the pedal felt like each time this happened.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
^^^ as pollushon it could have just been the tyres scraping/skidding as it locked n unlocked. Would have thought it would sound like skretching though

dcrou7

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz crewman
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. From what yous have told me I'm guessing it's just the ABS activating, it isnt the brakes themselves making noise as I have installed brand new rotors and pads less than 50ks ago I have double checked again and everything is fine and there wasn't any loose inner fenders or anything either. I didn't take too much notice of pulsing in the pedal but I did notice it went down a lot further. is it normal for the ABS to make noises like this? It sounded just like plastic scraping on bitumen which is why I was concerned that my bumper might be bottoming out

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
All abs does is alternate between locking and unlocking the brakes, when you jump on them. It allows u to steer away from something instead of skidding into it. If there is a scraping sound you have something wrong or the pads are low.

first time I heard it, I thought sh*t brake problem (scraping/grinding etc my perception of the noise), had them checked all good, have done 20,000klm since and no issues