Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car wont start all i get is a click then loose all power in the car

s.oliver1090

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
Hi I have recently encountered this problem with my vz v6 auto where if the car sits for half a day I go to start it and all I get is a click then loose all power to the car so I get out and fiddle terminals and move around the battery abit and it nnormally fires up first go but sometimes that doesn't work and I just keep trying to it starts

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Sounds like a flat battery caused by poor connections at the battery terminals and or the various earth points on the engine block and the chassis.

If you don't have any test instruments, has your battery got a "green" view type indicator window?

Some batteries have a green tinged sighting window in an inspection hole. Generally, if it is not green it is a sign of a flat battery.

Can you disconnect one of the battery terminals and charge the battery overnight?

Clean the battery posts and clamp terminals with a baking soda solution, a quick wipe through with a battery terminal cleaning tool and assemble the cables after the battery is charged - have you a hydrometer?

If things come good, the green window etc, then get some Battery terminal coating - there are some spray packs around. I use Korrode Cure which is an excellent neutralizer and sealant. Maybe Repco, SCA, Autobarn have it. Great stuff for farm machinery in NQ. Vaseline, at a pinch, will give you a bit of corrosion control in the short term.

s.oliver1090

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
The battery is all good it's green in the window and I checked it on the volt meter when the car isn't running its at 12.5v and when its running its its at 14v I'm leaning towards bad earth somewhere but I'm not sure where the earth points are are on a vz and
no I I don't have a hydrometer....

It doesn't need to be be jump started at all it will fire on its own power once it gets over its issue haha

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Remove and clean both the leads and the terminals on the battery and use some battery spray.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Agreed,

Check battery terminal connections, earth points etc.
Is there any change if you try starting in Neutral instead of Park?

s.oliver1090

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
Thanks for your help everyone I'll clean the battery terminals tonight and try to start in the morning if it plays up I'll start hunting for the earth points

iceman66999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2006
My 2006 VZ did that once and when i checked the green view it was good
When also my car shows that the battery give 12volts so i just when to a battery shop and asked him to check it with his voltmeter, and when he did it the battery was dead, and when i replaced it with new one, the problem was solved

adam_m

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
Mines been doing a similar thing, try to turn it on and it clicks and nothing happens, I take the key out and put it back in and try again and it works. I thought it might have been some kind of indicator that the battery in the key was dying, doesn't always do it though. I've been using my spare key now to see if it still happens, nothing yet.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Clicking could be the starting relay near the battery or the starter motor solenoid - which is it?
If the solenoid is clicking and the battery is in good condition, then it generally signals a poor high current supply from the + and - battery terminals. Or a stuffed starter motor - sticking solenoid, burnt contacts etc.

The major engine earth I am aware of is at the mounting bolt at the front of the engine block for the cold water pipe (Stainless steel U shaped mounting bracket) from the radiator lower hose. Give that a clean and retighten. The bolt is holding down about three items - bracket, earth lug, washer - all into the alloy block. Check the mounting torque.

If you have some jumper leads, use one from a good mounting point on the engine block to the negative terminal of the battery, that should give you a good earth circuit for testing.

On the positive terminal check that the battery post terminal and the sub plate bolted to the terminal is clean and secure.

If you can get the engine to crank with the voltmeter across the battery terminals, if it drops below 10 volts, it is an indication that the battery has a low charge or getting sick. This is a difficult test with a DMM as the scan rate is usually too slow to give an actual reading - unless you have a capture model. A moving coil meter is a better tool for this test.

If you are handy with a DMM then run your headlights on high beam and measure the voltage drop across each +12v joint and all negative earth bonds. If you see significant variations across the earth bonds then they could be heating up under starting current, making better contact - enough to get a good cranking voltage, then cooling down. When you do see a significant variation, run a bypass cable across the joint to see if the voltage drops. This way you can possibly localize the problem earth bond or +12V terminal problems etc.

Last edited:

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Don't always rely on the green window. It can lie. I put up with a crap calcium battery for a year - it tested okay but never was. Eventually bit the bullet and bought another one. It's as good as gold now.