Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 auto transmission problems

joshman7070

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
hi guys im in need of some serious help, my vz sv6 5 speed auto broke down last night, what happened, i was sitting at the lights lights turned green tried to accelerate without success, motor revved out but car did not move, it was like the car was in neutral, i tried all gear selectors none worked, so i pushed the car to the side of the road, called tow truck, whilst waiting i looked under the car with a torch and noticed fluid dripping from the front of the gearbox (bell housing area), got the car home 2 hours later, and to my surprise i got in the car and started it and i drove it out to the back yard, and then it started revving out again not engaging with the gearbox, large whining sound coming from the front of the gearbox, i have been looking online all day to try and find out whats wrong with it, and i read that the torque converter might have carked it therefore not pumping fluid into gearbox for the gears to engage, please someone share your thoughts, HELP, cant afford to take it to Holden or any local mechanic, so im stuck trying to fix it myself, any suggestions would be great.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
did you hit/scrape something while you were driving? you need to find out why the fluid has leaked before you fix anything.

joshman7070

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
no i didn't hit anything, for the last week it has been surging, like struggling to to select gears, shuddering, as i said i reckon the torque converter might have cracked, the fluid is nice and red as it had a tranny service 6 months ago, new oil, filter etc. i have not undone the filler plug yet to check the fluid level they say they gears wont engage without the right amount of fluid, the only visible leaking area is where the bell housing bolts onto the engine. now when i start it there is large sounds coming from the front of the gearbox, and they quieten a little as the car reduces idle once warm. please any ideas

iceman66999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2006
Dude please stop killing the gearbox
If there is oil you have to know why it is out?
If you ever here a " large sounds " as you say either from engine or the gearbox just turn the car off and go to professional
Don't make it worse, some times you need professional to solve a problem.

Now what i think is that your gearbox is dead because you said there are " large sounds" and that means there is something broken there

Go to professional

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yeah he's not replying, been 8 years since even online and didn't even update his own post. I bet he never found out, sold it non-running and got a 4WD to go with his beard phase.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The problem will require a full tear down of the transmission to diagnose.
A high end bi-directional scan tool will interface with the gearbox to hopefully find a clue to start the investigation, but until it’s pulled apart, it’s a box of neutrals and mysteries.

As suggested in the other thread, best you can do is drop the oil, change the filter and hope like hell you get more than a few weeks out of it.

5L40e doing what a 5L40e does best. Surprise you.