Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just got sv6 ute 2006 , suggestions plz?

moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 ute
jst regretfully sold my vr tho the gearbox blew :(

and bought a silver 2006 sv6 vz ute, with 156,000kms

now before i start spending cash everywhere i have no idea wher 2 spend it i have no idea about these vz's

going 4 a brake upgrade 1st
then exhaust
wana go 4 a maloo bodykit or somthg cause it needs a respray anyway may aswell get it b4 i spray

thn wher? am i better off trying 2 put a v8 in it? leaving it stock and trying 2 get somthg better?
15613_762502250492773_4146584284605673564_n.jpg

Last edited:

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I would not worry about a V8 upgrade unless you want to spend lotsa money on it. If you got a V8 wreck with good running gear, I'm not certain if you can use the present SV6 Ute body, without compliance/engineering certificates etc. Someone on the site will know those answers.

If you need a V8 Ute, look around for a good one and trade up, if the money is right.

I'd tidy up the SV6, minimum spend and enjoy it.

Do you know the car's history, engine and transmission servicing? Condition of suspension, tyres etc. The engine and gearbox can soak up money if they have been poorly serviced. Timing Cover leaks, $600, Timing chain rattles, $1000 - $1500, sludged engine about $2000+ wreckers engine and swap it over, engine misses, difficult starts - plugs, coils, $400 and the bad one - the ECU. $1000+. Thermostat housing $300+. These prices are my take going to a non Holden mechanic. Holden can cost much more. Some of these tasks can be done as DIY at one time to keep costs down - plugs, coils, thermostat housing, radiator, water pump etc.
Suspension repairs - rubber bushes, struts, shockers, bearings etc - Nolathane kits are not cheap but do the job.

These costs are killers when the valuations mob don't exactly give the VZs a good trade value.

Last edited:

moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 ute
thanks man yer got a full revs cheack was a fleet car most of its life well maintained till the last guy had it :(
deffs som stuff thier to think about had 2 fix pretty much all tht **** on my vr hahah, yer i only picked it up for $2500 so cant complain atm runs fine, apart from the last 40000kms dosent look like it hasnt been in a shop papperwork and receipts stop, but gona take it in 4 full service next week and inspection :)

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
thanks man yer got a full revs cheack was a fleet car most of its life well maintained till the last guy had it :(
deffs som stuff thier to think about had 2 fix pretty much all tht **** on my vr hahah, yer i only picked it up for $2500 so cant complain atm runs fine, apart from the last 40000kms dosent look like it hasnt been in a shop papperwork and receipts stop, but gona take it in 4 full service next week and inspection :)

Good idea to start with a clean sheet and catch up with the recommended service items.
Hope the car gives you good service.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Has this car been in an accident? I ask because the paint doesn't match (and I am not talking about the bonnet).

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
looks good mate, id just leave it stock, get it resprayed and enjoy it. Not a bad buy for 2500, id be happy with that

moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 ute
Has this car been in an accident? I ask because the paint doesn't match (and I am not talking about the bonnet).

yea it was had 2 replace bonnet , crash bar, bumper (cant find a sv6 one anywher so have 2 leave my fog lights out) and yer need sv6 fenders 2 wif the flutes

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
So you spend $2500 and then had to fix repair damage? what colour you thinking for the respray? are you doing it yourself?

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
Yea paid $3500 all up thn 2 day found a hidden laptop and drill kitt next 2 the fuel tank so back 2 $2500 hahah colour not sure might go silver still wif som Black artline work

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Who hides a Laptop and drill in a car then forgets about them ? LOL someone's out there somewhere going Where the Hell is my drill i haven't seen it for ages !