Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spare key issue

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
I bought a vz lumina second hand it only came with one ignition/door key. I went up today to the local locksmith who cut and programmed a spare key today. I got home and found that the second key replace the original instead of being a spare. So if I start the car with the original key the buttons on the original key on the remote will lock and unlock the doors/boot.

But... then the new key buttons wont look or unlock doors/boot.

If I then start the car with the new key the buttons on the new key will lock unlock the doors/boot but then the original key does not work.Could go back and forth all day here.

Note at any time I can get into the car with either key manually but it will trip the alarm. So the new key will do for emergency but annoyed that the two keys don't work at the same time.

Any Idea whats going on? Holden says its either the key is faulty or programmed wrong the locksmith did a second key and it acts exactly the same as the first one he did. Thoughts appreciated cheers

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I had to buy a second fob (3 button) for my VT Berlina.

Mr Minit gave me a very detailed sequence of door and key/ignition actions to follow to get the second key to work properly whilst out in the carpark of a local shopping centre.

Had no problems with the second key. Does the VZ have a sequence to follow?

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
I have no idea neither did the locksmith :(

bluc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina
Tried this
These are the instructions for programming a new key from "The Heel & Sole Man" at Capalaba Shopping Centre in Brisbane. RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE FOR NEW 1,2 & 3 BUTTON COMMODORE KEYS VY & VZ. 1. Unlock car using buttons on original key head. 2. Get into car and lock with buttons on original key head. 3.Ensure vehicle immobiliser light is on. 4.Start the car with the new key. 5. Leave for 1 minute. 6.Turn car off,remove key,unlock using original key head.7.Exit car. 8.Lock vehicle using original key head.9.Unlock vehicle using new key head. 10.Start the vehicle using new key head. 11.Key Is Now Fully Functional...The guy there was pretty helpful so I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering any queries you may have if you phoned him 07 38232883.Good luck mate.

and this

Juan I had the same problem.

I found that if you put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on then use the buttons on the key to lock and unlock the door it will activate the key.

My key worked after doing the above.

both "swap" the key but neither will allow the use of both keys at the same time.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Tried this

and this

both "swap" the key but neither will allow the use of both keys at the same time.

Thinking about it - Coincidence - I used Mr Minit at Capalaba when I was travelling through with the VT. Similar instructions were given.

Last edited: