Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car not pulling as hard as before? Delayed acceleration response

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Hey guys, I've got a VZ V6 which has 230,000km on the clock. It was running great until recently with what can be described as a delay in acceleration response. Basically when you accelerate it takes longer than normal to get up to speed and it feels inconsistent, so the car starts building up speed slowly then around 70km it tends to jerk you forward.

The car starts up normal, idles normal and does not shake or make popping noises from the exhaust, so it's not misfiring. Spark plugs are fine, coil packs are fine, no apparent vacuum leaks, no check engine light, always filled up with 98. Tried running some of that injector cleaner through but no real changes. Scan tool hooked up and showed no error codes. MAF sensor was cleaned with the specific cleaner. Oil was changed recently. Car has cold air intake which is clean, mace manifold insulators, hi flow cats, cat back exhaust, and custom tune.

Car does not stall and does not feel like it's not getting sufficient fuel making me think it's not fuel related. I'm leaning towards the transmission, which is the 4 speed auto. Fluid levels seem normal though. Is lack of power and delayed response a symptom of a failing transmission? Sometimes the rpms hold before gear changes, and after letting off the throttle. Or could it also be the throttle body causing the problems? The throttle body itself is perfectly clean, but I've heard the sensor can go, then again would that normally throw a check engine light?

I'm hoping it's not the engine itself wearing out, cause not long ago the car was running better than ever and then one day it suddenly started playing up and now feels terrible. Apart from transmission and the TPS, does anyone else have other suggestions as to what could be the problem? Timing chain, etc? Any help is appreciated, cheers.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Does a Tech2 show any DTCs?

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Does a Tech2 show any DTCs?

Haven't tried using a tech2, only a basic scan tool I got from Supercheap auto which is called Actron and nothing came up. Are there error codes only a tech2 will show?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Haven't tried using a tech2, only a basic scan tool I got from Supercheap auto which is called Actron and nothing came up. Are there error codes only a tech2 will show?

My understanding is that the Tech2 being the Holden Workshop Tool, is designed to show all of the Holden DTCs in their operating systems.
The non Tech2 scan tools basically do the common "industry" standard DTC numbers not all of the Holden DTCs.

darkangelvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Holden Commordore SV6 SIDI
Hey guys, before you judge me i am female so knowledge is restricted, I've got a 2010 SV6 SIDI with 109000kms on the clock. It was running great until the service light came on. I got Holden to service the car and the very next day the engine check light came on. I called the guy back and he came over and diagnosed the issue and said there was a miss-fire on cylinder 6. I asked if i should change the spark plugs but he advised that they are only due at 120000kms. I got the GM plugs regardless and fitted them on myself and noticed that the 2 plugs to the rear of the engine had issues. One had oil on it and the other was not firing and had the scent of oil and fuel. After the change of plugs the car ran better but I noticed a lag. Its almost like the car is straining up hill or when at low speed. I took the car back to Holden and they reset the throttle and timing and that improved oh so slightly. She is slightly heavier on fuel but could be a result of me pressing the accelerator more than usual to get the car to go. If i accelerate and leave the pedal you immediately feel the car loose speed and feel a pull back(jerk). I been told that it could be a range of things such as fuel filter/pump, coils, leads, transmission service needed, stretched timing chain, O2 sensors, pre and post catalytic converters... I was wondering if anyone had this issue and could steer me into the right direction to remedy this situation.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Hey guys, before you judge me i am female so knowledge is restricted, I've got a 2010 SV6 SIDI with 109000kms on the clock. It was running great until the service light came on. I got Holden to service the car and the very next day the engine check light came on. I called the guy back and he came over and diagnosed the issue and said there was a miss-fire on cylinder 6. I asked if i should change the spark plugs but he advised that they are only due at 120000kms. I got the GM plugs regardless and fitted them on myself and noticed that the 2 plugs to the rear of the engine had issues. One had oil on it and the other was not firing and had the scent of oil and fuel. After the change of plugs the car ran better but I noticed a lag. Its almost like the car is straining up hill or when at low speed. I took the car back to Holden and they reset the throttle and timing and that improved oh so slightly. She is slightly heavier on fuel but could be a result of me pressing the accelerator more than usual to get the car to go. If i accelerate and leave the pedal you immediately feel the car loose speed and feel a pull back(jerk). I been told that it could be a range of things such as fuel filter/pump, coils, leads, transmission service needed, stretched timing chain, O2 sensors, pre and post catalytic converters... I was wondering if anyone had this issue and could steer me into the right direction to remedy this situation.

good on you for doing your own car, if you can change the plugs on a vz your skill level is GREAT, you answered your problem ( EG) plug not firing= faulty coil pack , but wont hurt doing all off them. ebay $180 for six. had too laugh at the excuses plug leads not applicable they have coil packs, pre /post cat convertor the car has a cat on each side followed by a muffler.. Really u and the tech found a fault and ignored it and put the car back together, now u have to remove that manifold again hhhaaa. but think off the money you are saving:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I really can't ad much to this thread, the OP's issue sounds much like it was a TPS problem but there is no update.....

As for above, my brother recently had issues with his car (it's a Ford which is part of the issue) but I digress.... Anyway he had a plug die, replaced all the plugs etc (they were past due, similar 120,000km service interval) but still ran like crap. Turns out when the plug failed it also caused trouble with the ignition coil. That's where I would start looking anyway.