Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 questions on interior and tail lights

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
1. so I replaced the dome ceiling lights with LEDs. It turns itself on when I open the door but won't turn off when I close the door. I can still use the switch to manually turn it off. The only thing I changed is to swap the +/- terminals (had to extend one of the + terminals as it's short). The negative wire is still connected to the 2 individual switches. Any ideas what could I have done wrong?

2. Is it possible to change the tail lights (brake/reversing. basically all the lights you can see at the back) to LEDs without touching the cables (i.e. reversing polarity again like in the dome lights)

Thanks very much :)

Last edited:

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
You can get LED globes that fit in your rear lights for about 20-30 bucks a pair on ebay. Only issue is since the LED draws a lot lower wattage the car thinks both lights are blown and acts accordingly (hyper flashing blinkers, no cruise control etc). The solution to this is to wire a resistor across the + and - wires to the globe. You can buy the resistor at most auto parts stores for like $15

Hope that helped

EDIT: This does involve "touching the cables" but is piss easy and takes like 2 minutes

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
To sort out LED globes in your tail lights you can also replace your standard type flasher unit with an L.E.D flasher unit
This saves you having to cut and solder any wires

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
To sort out LED globes in your tail lights you can also replace your standard type flasher unit with an L.E.D flasher unit
This saves you having to cut and solder any wires

1. I've searched the net and it seems to me these are just relays? unless of course I'm mistaken in which case, can you please provide a link?

2. How are these relay connected to the turning LEDs?

thanks

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Sorry for the late reply have been away from civilisation for a while.
1. Relays and flasher units are different. Just go to your local parts store/auto electrician and ask them for an LED flasher unit to suit your car.
2. You just remove the current flasher unit and replace it with the LED one.
I should have mentioned in my previous post that this swap will only work for your indicators and not your brake lights.
As macca 234 said you will need to wire in a resistor on your brake lights so you have a functioning cruise control.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
I should have mentioned in my previous post that this swap will only work for your indicators and not your brake lights.
As macca 234 said you will need to wire in a resistor on your brake lights so you have a functioning cruise control.

I replaced the brake/taillights on my Berlina over the weekend with LEDs. Cruise control works like it should. No resistor needed.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I replaced the brake/taillights on my Berlina over the weekend with LEDs. Cruise control works like it should. No resistor needed.

Sweet as... but it's not uncommon for it to happen. Whats your third brake light? Led in the wing or standard bulb in the window? It only requires one

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I think some LED lamps come with a "CAN bus" feature.

The CAN bus is a design which allows the LED lamp to be fitted without the resistors being fitted externally.
The extra circuitry tricks the BCM computer into thinking the correct rating incandescent lamp is still fitted.
I think this feature is reflected in the cost of the lamps. I don't know their compatibility with the Commodore's computer sensitivity.

EDIT: added link
How To Choose CAN-bus LED Bulbs For Your Car | eBay

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
It's not so much that they are canbus compatible but they have a small pull down resistor inside them. when the led goes off the resistor which is attached to earth will bring the positive wire back down to earth 0Volts. As if a normal bulb was in there. It's only a tiny resistor. Without it, the positive wire goes from 12vdc to open circuit confusing the cruise control. It needs to see the hard switch between 12vdc and 0vdc... not 12vdc and open circuit. There is a difference.

Usually all LEDs have this feature but it's not uncommon for that resistor to blow... when both sides blow, that's when you lose cruise. The resistor is tiny and enclosed inside the bulb so you can't see it. It can be read diagnosed with a multimeter though.

Also, some commodores have a separate switch on the brake pedal for the cruise control... these cars are never affected.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Sweet as... but it's not uncommon for it to happen. Whats your third brake light? Led in the wing or standard bulb in the window? It only requires one

I forgot all about that one - yep it's a regular globe.