Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Subframe bushes not aligning

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Hello everyone, just ended up wasting 2 hours with a mechanic without getting anything done. So in my never ending quest in achieving a comfortable/new carish ride quality, I only had my rear control arm and subframe bushes left to change. I went out and bought GM part number #92059086 (pic attached). But what actually came out was quite different(pics attached from the internet). Also I live in Saudi Arabia and saw that some pontiac GTO's come with the same bushes in the states. Have any of you had them? They seemed quite hard and maybe even contribute to harshness?

I decided to get it done by a mechanic while with some other work coz i didnt want to go out and buy a massive breaker bar and waste alot of time or get in trouble after reading other peoples experiences in removing the main bolt. After what happened at the shop I'm glad I made that decision. We removed the old bush using the same way Surferwagon has explained in other threads by doing one side at a time, and supporting the crossmember with a jack underneath. The problem was trying to get the bolt back in after installing the new bush. The new bushes had the hole in the center which wasn't letting the bolt align with the hole in the frame. the old bush had gotten somewhat disfigured and the hole was slightly to one side probably from facing stress in that direction for so many years. The mechanic however was convinced that I had bought the wrong parts coz the hole was in the center of the new bushes which wasn't letting the bolt align properly. he did try for an hour though, but was being very cautious of not damaging the hole in the frame or bolt itself. Any resistance to the bolt halfway through and he would stop. In the end I agreed with him for the sake of it and he spent another hour getting the old bush back in.

Anyways, given the current alignment of my frame, where the hole isn't centered. Will I have to get the frame dropped completely in order to change the bushes? Anybody had any similar experiences?

Attachments

• 92059086.JPG
    92059086.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 446
  • old1.jpg
    old1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 570
  • old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 605

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hi, these are the instructions for on car replacement from the Holden workshop manual. Has the car been involved in an accident at some point possibly throwing the alignment out? I can't think of why you would be having that trouble but I have not done this job before myself so maybe someone else can chime in who has some experience with this particular task.

imagejpg1_zps30562818.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsf64cc377.jpg

imagejpg3_zps8212e12e.jpg

imagejpg4_zps392f8824.jpg

aszaheer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Thanks for the help dgp. Yes I'm pretty sure the car has been in an accident with the previous owner coz the rear bumper has been repaired. who knows what else might have happened. We did pretty much what it shows in the workshop manual but dropped only the one side which gave us trouble.

Do these bushes offer any improvement in ride quality? The old one we removed didn't show any cracks and the car has done 230,000 KM.

Does anyone think dropping both sides together would help getting the bushes in? Or will that just give me more grief with the alignment without the proper tool? If that's the case then I guess I'll scrap the idea coz I doubt I'll find someone who can align the cradle here plus its gonna add up to the cost.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi, these are the instructions for on car replacement from the Holden workshop manual. Has the car been involved in an accident at some point possibly throwing the alignment out? I can't think of why you would be having that trouble but I have not done this job before myself so maybe someone else can chime in who has some experience with this particular task.

imagejpg1_zps30562818.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsf64cc377.jpg

imagejpg3_zps8212e12e.jpg

imagejpg4_zps392f8824.jpg
Hey mate any chance to find these pics they don’t show up on the thread
Thanks