Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with coolant leak

currypilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive wagon
Hi everyone, so a new owner of a vz commodore wagon, and already put a hundred into it with a new starter motor and battery, not too bad technically but pictures or descriptions would help.. so here goes.. have a leak coming from somewhere near where the bottom radiator hose joins to the radiator. Not the hose that I can see, but cause of the tight spaces I don't know if it's a leak from the middle of the radiator or is there another hose or something easy to Inspect. tested it without the heater fan on and when I turned the fan on hot it seemed to increase. If I need to replace the radiator I'm fine with that. Heard it could be a heater tap but no idea where that is?. Thanks in advance a side question.. what relays are supposed to be in the engine cooling fan 1 and 2. I have two different ones a k55 in number 1 and a e55 in number two, just has me a bit caught as the pins don't seem to line up.

DeanoV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Your leak is probably a cracked plastic radiator tank this is where mine went at approx 120km, it would really piss out when hot (under pressure). Heater tap is on the drivers side of the motor at rear resting on top of rocker cover, you will need to remove plastic engine trim cover to see. Cooling fan wont come on till 108 deg!!

You can watch your Temp with an exact digital readout by going into service mode on your digital dash readout
Hold down MODE and SET buttons when you turn ignition on, and scroll through till you find coolant temp.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you are a member of an Auto Club (NRMA, RACV, RACQ etc) you could get a mobile patrol to call at your location and pressure test the cooling system. It should replicate the leak and make it easier to spot. Good luck.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Pressure test it before throwing parts at it imo

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Your local natrad will probably also be able to pressure test it and let you know the problem. When my old alloytec began overheating I took it to a natrad to get pressure tested, they found it was a stuck thermostat but couldn't replace it (due to thermo location on alloytecs) and also didn't charge me anything.

commodore1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Probably the radiator, pressure test it before you do anything. or take the thermos off and try get a better look.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Your leak is probably a cracked plastic radiator tank this is where mine went at approx 120km, it would really piss out when hot (under pressure). Heater tap is on the drivers side of the motor at rear resting on top of rocker cover, you will need to remove plastic engine trim cover to see. Cooling fan wont come on till 108 deg!!

You can watch your Temp with an exact digital readout by going into service mode on your digital dash readout
Hold down MODE and SET buttons when you turn ignition on, and scroll through till you find coolant temp.

I'd say this is the problem , but get a pressure test to be sure .

currypilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive wagon
Hey thanks for all the help, will see if local mechanic can pressure test it today, won't be using them to replace it. Had them do a starter for it while under used car warranty and cost over 700!!! 600 for the starter and 100 for the labour.. joys of living remote!

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Mine was the opposite, it would leak when cold but stop when hot, it was the seal on the plastic tank to radiator core, replaced radiator and fixed problem.

currypilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive wagon
Just a quick update, got it tested, radiators seals are leaking and cap is a gunner... The kicker is this awsome qoute I recieved. . $715 to get replaced lol..rang up a few places in darwin 200km away and most expensive including fitting new hoses was $385. I put a round of stop leak in it and has stopped the leaks atm.. If I took it slow and steady during the cooler hours of the day maybe 4am and had regular breaks could this trip be feasible?. I could do it myself but we'll I'm there ilk be getting aircon re gassed and would save a trip.