Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird noise HELP!!!

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Hey guys, my car has been making a weird grinding noise lately. It is a VZ ss Ute with 208k. It seems to only make the noise when engine is warm but i could be mistaken..... (not very loud). The noise is most noticeable when the revs are low and i can only here it when the car is moving.

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Some more info, I just got a new HD exedy clutch installed and the mechanic did say the slave cylinder may need replacing soon so could that be the noise?

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Sorry i forgot to ask the question. What is causing the noise?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Some more info, I just got a new HD exedy clutch installed and the mechanic did say the slave cylinder may need replacing soon so could that be the noise?

I'd go back to the mechanic. Especially if the noise was not there before the clutch was fitted etc.

Does the noise disappear or change when you press the clutch pedal lightly or fully down when you are in neutral and or when you are in a gear?
Can you feel and the measure the clutch pedal free play?
If you hold the clutch pedal down whilst in 1st gear, does the engine load up after some time and the car slowly creep? This could be a leaky slave cylinder.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Not in relation to any noise but I think it's time for a new mechanic. I can't believe he didn't fit a new slave cylinder. Any decent mechanic would have done the job properly and replaced the slave cylinder when fitting the new clutch, considering you have to remove the gearbox again to fit it. More $$$$$

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Ok guys I took it to 3 different mechanics and the first 2 said that they didnt know whats wrong with it... (automasters and Bridgestone services) The third mechanic, Ultratune, said that its normal for v8 utes to make the noise when under such low revs and he said he has a ve ss ute and his noise is alot louder and his replaced everything to try and fix it but it just seems to be unfixable issue unless you replace the gearbox. The mechanic said no harm can be done by it and I shouldnt worry about it.

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
And the mechanic I took it to in the first did replace the concentric slave cylinder. He was talking about the one above the gas pedal. I checked it and it looks fine, no leaks when I pull back the boot. Did have to change the clutch fluid tho, looked like a fish pond filled with algae lol

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
And the mechanic I took it to in the first did replace the concentric slave cylinder. He was talking about the one above the gas pedal. I checked it and it looks fine, no leaks when I pull back the boot. Did have to change the clutch fluid tho, looked like a fish pond filled with algae lol

That would be the clutch master cylinder. No problems. Just thought it was poor form if he changed the clutch and not slave cylinder.